More Bricks - LARS 2

Proud Kraut

When I saw this set I had to get me one.

LARS is the abrevation of Leichtes Artillerie Raketen System (light artillery rocket system) that was used in the Bundeswehr from the late 1960´s until the 1990´s when replaced by MARS (MLRS). Each rocket launcher could fire thirty-six 110mm rockets within 18 seconds. A platoon was equiped with 4 rocket launchers, being able to fire 144 rockets within less than half a minute.

After having built a couple of COBI models, this is my first XINGBAO model. It´s 1/30 scale and consits of 986 pieces. Here are front and back of the box.

XB01.jpg

XB02.jpg

4 hours ago, SARGE said:

A very clever play on words Lars.  I see why you had to pick this model up.

😉 Thanks guys. Here´s a first view of the bricks.

XB03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I started to build the rocket launcher today. First impression is good. No parts missing so far, accuracy of fit is excellent. I have learned (again) that you have to study the construction manual VERY thorough.

What you see is the chassis which contains of about 400 parts. It took me nearly 4 hours to build it.

L_02.jpg

L_03.jpg

After another 4 hours LARS was completed today. The length of the finished rocket launcher is 28 cm. All in all a very detailed model with several movable parts. Only point of criticism: They reduced the rocket pods from 36 to 16 but the rocket launcher still looks realistic. I like it. Here´s LARS on the march.

L_01.jpg

L_02.jpg

• 2 weeks later...