Help with Medal ID, Possible North Vietnam

trenchbuff

Go to solution Solved by Tonomachi,

Found these recently at a flea market and the vendor had no idea about them.  The ribbon attachments look similar to some North Vietnamese medals I've seen but I have no idea.  Any help on the ID would be much appreciated.

066.JPG

068.JPG

069.JPG

070.JPG

55 minutes ago, Ivydiv said:

They sure are not North Vietnamese. Look like maybe North Korean. Dave

Thank you Dave.  That would have been my second guess😆

The three with the closeup pictures...

One is Japanese as its dated in the Japanese system 昭和十五年 (1940). It says 國勢調査 (national census). I searched these clues online and found an identical one, that one indicating with text on the back that it is from the Japanese "Manchukuo" puppet state in China. 

The one with 八一 in a red star is Chinese Communist. "八一" is a peoples liberation army thing referring to the day of its establishment. 

The 1951 definitely looks chinese communist as well. Communist symbolism plus chinese writing....

I cant see the rest but probably chinese communist or china related as well. 

48 minutes ago, Joe said:

The three with the closeup pictures...

One is Japanese as its dated in the Japanese system 昭和十五年 (1940). It says 國勢調査 (national census). I searched these clues online and found an identical one, that one indicating with text on the back that it is from the Japanese "Manchukuo" puppet state in China. 

The one with 八一 in a red star is Chinese Communist. "八一" is a peoples liberation army thing referring to the day of its establishment. 

The 1951 definitely looks chinese communist as well. Communist symbolism plus chinese writing....

I cant see the rest but probably chinese communist or china related as well. 

That's great info.  Thank you very much!

• Solution

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as I recall these started showing up at insignia shows and flea markets a number of years ago on the west coast.  These are the first generation of poorly made fakes out of Communist China.  I found a link (attached) concerning a conversation about the new batch of fakes that are coming out of Communist China that are of higher quality.

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/23428-new-generation-of-people39s-republic-of-china-fakes/

19 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but as I recall these started showing up at insignia shows and flea markets a number of years ago on the west coast.  These are the first generation of poorly made fakes out of Communist China.  I found a link (attached) concerning a conversation about the new batch of fakes that are coming out of Communist China that are of higher quality.

https://gmic.co.uk/topic/23428-new-generation-of-people39s-republic-of-china-fakes/

Thank you very much for the info.  Yes, they are very cheaply made and cost next to nothing so it's a good lesson and worth the price.  I appreciate all the help from the forum.