WW2 Italian Officer's Uniform

Husky43

Hello. Can anyone give me some information on this Italian officer's tunic. I assume it is WW2, bit do not know the branch or rank etc. Thanks

IMG_8646.JPG

IMG_8642.JPG

IMG_8641.JPG

IMG_8643.JPG

IMG_8644.JPG

IMG_8649.JPG

IMG_8648.JPG

Post War we should think, due to the rank on the shoulder straps, a Colonel actually, plus the tailor tag looks post war, a Colonel who is a Vet of WWII. WWII Italian Army Officers wore the rank different than this. The Collar patches known as FLAMES are for the Bersaglieri.

The WWII Ranks.

italyarmyranks.jpg

19 hours ago, patches said:

Uncertain what the bullion strip is for on it, Long Service???

I think the tailor's label has a fasces on it (top, above the wreath), which made me think it was wartime. Also, with the Bersaglieri, I thought the rank was on the shoulder rather than the sleeve during WW2, as in this photo from Mussolini's Soldiers (see below). Is this officer a colonel or a capain, with the three stars?

001 (2).jpg

The rank like that on the tunic you posted is of the Post War type, Braid along the edge of the Shoulder Board with Bullion Stars, the Black Shoulder Boards on the Mussolini's Soldiers was  standard on continental uniforms, not  just tropical, but these tend to show the Branch or Arm rather than rank, except in the case of Warrant Officers and Generals.

15 minutes ago, patches said:

The rank like that on the tunic you posted is of the Post War type, Braid along the edge of the Shoulder Board with Bullion Stars, the Black Shoulder Boards on the Mussolini's Soldiers was  standard on continental uniforms, not  just tropical, but these tend to show the Branch or Arm rather than rank, except in the case of Warrant Officers and Generals.

Thanks for the information. When would you reckon this tunic dates to? All of the medal ribbons are for WW2 service? 

16 minutes ago, Husky43 said:

Thanks for the information. When would you reckon this tunic dates to? All of the medal ribbons are for WW2 service? 

As he's Colonel maybe from the 50s, the medals? Not up on those, but you can do a search for Italian Military Decorations and compare,

• 1 year later...