Order of AZAD HIND Brest Star

usmedalman

I found this in a local antique store. What attracted my attention was the Rudlof Souval name on the lid. I know nothing about Azad Hind awards, but a quick search leads me to believe that I found an original WWII manufactured Order of Azad Hind, 1st Class Star with case.

The 8-pointed star is constructed of three pieces. The rays are made of frosted silver finish with the highlights polished. The gilt finished, central gilt disk is a separate piece witha raised tiger’s head, circumscribed by the inscription “AZAD HIND” and laurel leaves. The reverse has a barrel hinge and vertical pinback secured by a flat catch. The maker mark, “RUDOLF SOUVAL, WIEN” is also a separate disk attached to the star body. The star measures 60 mm x 60 mm. Weight is 30.5 grams. Overall, in excellent condition with only the tip of one of the star rays bent – otherwise I would call it mint.

The case is the WWII period original made of a light wooden frame covered with faux golden-brown leather. The lid has a gilt embossed tiger’s head but is gilding is worn off this high points. Even edge wear but no staining or tears. The interior lid is a padded white satin-type liner and intact hinge cover, maker marked “RUDOLF SOUVAL, WIEN VII STR. D. JULIKÄMPFER 23”. The base pad is a slotted dark purple velvet. The hinge is still strong and opens and closes smoothly. The case measure 82 mm (w) x 82 mm (l) x 26 mm (h). Overall, the case exterior is excellent plus condition with the interior in near mint condition.

I am attaching photos and hoping for your opinions

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

These are tough awards to authenticate since the Austrian based Souval made these both during and after the war from the same dies.  This means wartime and postwar Azad Hind awards are almost identical.  

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I have on these Rudolf Souval awards will offer an opinion.

2 hours ago, SARGE said:

These are tough awards to authenticate since the Austrian based Souval made these both during and after the war from the same dies.  This means wartime and postwar Azad Hind awards are almost identical.  

Perhaps someone with more knowledge than I have on these Rudolf Souval awards will offer an opinion.

Yes, this is what I learned. Also though, from what I have been able to find, the awards contracted for by the Azad Hind organization all had Rudolf Souval Wien VII on the reverse. Those produced after the organization was disbanded do not have this feature. But again, I am just new to learning about the Azad Hind.