Kassel Police Flag

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a nice Polizei unit flag that I have been after for several years.  The collector is downsizing and I was finally able to buy it from him at his price.  I have noticed that a lot of nice items are coming out of old collections lately and this is one of them IMHO.

This flag is a "Fachschaft / Polizei-Kassel" NSDAP unit flag (Professional Party Cell) made in the form of a NSDAP Storm Flag.  Similar in style to the SA Hoheitsfahne or the SS Sturmbannfahne, also known as a Storm Flag.  These rectangular flags are seen in the Men-At-Arms Series (278), "Flags of The Third Reich 3:  Party & Police Units".  This flag is made of red woolen cloth (Schiffsflaggentuch) with a black swastika within a white circle.  It is edged on three sides with silver-aluminum fringe and seven plain white metal rings attach the flag to a pole on the plain side.  This particular pole is not original to the flag but the rings are. There is a rectangular  black patch on the upper left canton with the police unit name embroidered in white Gothic lettering.  The flag is double sided and has the same motif and patches on both sides.  

I was very pleased to be able to pick this flag up from the collector after years of effort.  

Pol Kassel flag.JPG

Pol Kassel patch.JPG

Pol Kassel bottom ring.JPG

1 hour ago, Proud Kraut said:

I assume this police student association flag is a very rare item, right?

Yes, I know of only one other surviving flag like this in a collection and it was from Meiningen.  Most of these were destroyed at the end of the war according to US sources that I have seen.