Hermann Goering Grenadier Portrait 1942 in Waffen SS Camo

patches

• 7 months later...

Two more,1942,  given that it is not a desert or semi desert environment (Tunisia-Sicily), but a Green Wooded Background, perhaps photo taken then  either at the HG's Recruit Training Base in Holland or at the HG's Home Garrison in Berlin

main-qimg-72f1b490a693544b2a0be1c96513aa54-lq.jpg

main-qimg-b9171ca86937b8eb1bbf61b7bda21b75-lq.jpg

It looks like their rolled up shelter halves are in Wehrmacht camo.  

10 hours ago, SARGE said:

It looks like their rolled up shelter halves are in Wehrmacht camo.  

Interesting point, never thought about their Zeltbahns, we gather they would of been the standard Splinter Pattern and not SS types, the standard ones being issued to them since the beginning of the unit right.

Dune Panther

Why was the HG Panzer Division kitted out in SS camo in the first place? BTW, these images are amazing! I have never seen anything like them.

16 hours ago, Dune Panther said:

Why was the HG Panzer Division kitted out in SS camo in the first place? BTW, these images are amazing! I have never seen anything like them.

It was decided to give most of the Brigade, it was still a Brigade in 1942, camouflage smocks and helmet covers, so the only ones in existence at that time was Waffen SS ones, the paratroopers had their camouflage jump smocks, but here we guess they just decided to go with the SS pattern. By the late summer of 1943 they were withdrawn, and the splinter Heer type Luftwaffe type start to be issued, but bits and pieces of the SS stuff still could be seen well into 1944, and even when the division was transferred to the Russian Front.

8nmy.jpg

Dune Panther

Thank you all for the information about the HG SS camo details. At least the rivalry between Göring and Himmler did not extend so far as to prevent Göring's own troops from being supplied that way, in arguably the most effective camo then available that the German side possessed (regardless of service). Also an interesting point made about the TO&E of tanks, a subject worthy of further research.     

Here's some more,  Fallschirmjäger , not certain, but these troops could be from the HG Div, as there was a Parachute unit transferred permanently to the Brigade Hermann Göring in 1942,Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 5, which was redesignated  Jäger Regiment Hermann Göring when the unit was being expanded to a full division, and some of these guys my have kept their jump helmets and jump smocks.  if not the these are of the 1. Fallschirm Division and got the smocks from HG stores.

ss camo0001.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
snake36bravo
On 3/25/2023 at 11:48 PM, patches said:

This is in September 1943 in Italy, SS Camo still being worn here.

hg ss camo.PNG

Palm pattern smocks to boot on both. That's an incredibly unique field applied camo pattern on the M35 helmet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
snake36bravo
On 4/5/2023 at 11:31 PM, patches said:

The new Camo for the HG, Splinter Pattern, South of Cassino, note the Italian Canteen he carries.

Luftwaffe-in-Italy.jpg

Sometimes I find it hard to understand the particular choices these troops made in what they carried. The other day I noted a FJ with not one but two pistols on his belt on each side. One was the standard hardshell P08 Luger while the other was a .32 ACP. This gunner curiously has K98 pouches which now that I think about it might suffice for some last ditch rounds should he spend everything in the 2 drum magazines hes lugging around. He's also carrying a flare holster on his belt as well. 

Here's one, HG Pz Div in Poland September 1944 still wearing the SS Smocks, but note at least one of these troops wears your standard  Heer/Luftwaffe Splinter Pattern Cover, while the others seem to be wearing covers that are unascertainable, the one in the prone though, his may be an Italian Camo Cover.

ssss.PNG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...