Bundeswehr M1A1 Luftlandtruppe

Mark K

Bundeswehr M1A1 Luftlandtruppe (Air Land Troops Airborne ) it is just the way I like my helmets used but not abused it shows some nice overall wear to the exterior of the helmet body... The interior is nicely ink marked in white 8415-12-127-1074 PSL 3/66 GroBe 66 which does tell us it was manufactured in March of 1966...

Production first commenced on these helmets in 1961 up into the late 1980's and they seen active service into the 90's until they were phased out when the new Model 826 composite was adopted, the helmet bodies were produced in three sizes 66, 68 and 71 and so of course there respective weights can very slightly 1340 ,1440 and 1540 g...

On the inside rolled edge of the helmet body a small cold stamped punch of the federal eagle can be found and will be affixed until the middle of the 1970's from there forth till the end of production the manufacturer's logo and date will be found stamped on the inside rolled rim..

Regards Mark

P1080461.JPG

P1080462.JPG

P1080463.JPG

P1080464.JPG

P1080465.JPG

P1080466.JPG

P1080468.JPG

P1080469.JPG

P1080470.JPG

2 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Very nice helmet, thanks for sharing. Did you get it together with this helmet net?

This particular net came to me with a GS-G9 helmet that I got years ago and as I was given a miltec camo cover for that helmet so I thought I would add it to the M1A1 for the purpose of display..

It is a bit of an odd net and not like anything I have seen used before by the Bundeswehr and or the BGS..

Regards Mark

That´s what I thought, Mark. The Bw nets used to have metal clasps. BTW, Fallschirmjaeger (Airborne) units were the first who received "amebae camo" and "splinter camo" cloth helmet covers.

Lars

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, Proud Kraut said:

That´s what I thought, Mark. The Bw nets used to have metal clasps. BTW, Fallschirmjaeger (Airborne) units were the first who received "amebae camo" and "splinter camo" cloth helmet covers.

Lars

I agree Lars on the Amebae and splinter covers I have also seen zeltbahn ( Shelter half's ) cut up and repurposed for helmet covers as well I am of the opinion this was not commonplace but have seen a few period images that support it was done to some extent..

Posted below is an image of Bundeswehr M-62 that I have had for a number of years it is sporting a cut section from a BW Zeltbahn in the tarnmuster ( amoebatarn pattern ) with the proper net with metal clasps as mentioned above..

Regards Mark

P1080913.JPG