Tank Memorial -1976

kfields

Showing my age a bit by putting the date in the title. Haha. 

My buddy and I drove to Belgium that year to see the Grand Prix race. As an Army private, I had just got a car so we were having some fun going to different destinations. On the way back, we drove through a thickly forested area in Belgium which sorta followed the route where the German Army busted through in late '44. We drove into this town and here was this massive German tank parked there as a memorial. I'll never forget it. As we were checking it out, a really old guy walked by, shaking his head while saying "Nazi's !" in disgust. Unfortunately I didn't write down the name of the town. Anybody know?

Kim

IMG_20211116_165322734.jpg

That looks like the Panther monument in Houffalize, just north of Bastonge in the Belgian Ardennes. It currently has been removed from this spot for restoration, but will be put back after completion, apparently under some form of shelter.

Great pic! If you can, please add it to https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/wehrmacht-uniforms-and-equipment/achtung-panzer-forum/842248-houffalize-panther-from-116-pzdiv-will-be-completely-overhauled

earlymb,  Thanks for the lead.  I posted over there so it will be fun to see what others say. 

Curious though. The tank in my picture above I think is numbered ' 111 ' on the turret whereas the Houffalize tank is numbered  ' 116 '? Plus the paint schemes are different. But the turret is oriented the same so I suspect it may be the same tank. As far as paint goes, I'm sure somebody took artistic license with it, but who knows.

23 hours ago, kfields said:

earlymb,  Thanks for the lead.  I posted over there so it will be fun to see what others say. 

Curious though. The tank in my picture above I think is numbered ' 111 ' on the turret whereas the Houffalize tank is numbered  ' 116 '? Plus the paint schemes are different. But the turret is oriented the same so I suspect it may be the same tank. As far as paint goes, I'm sure somebody took artistic license with it, but who knows.

It has probably repainted many times over the years, the paint is your pic isn't the original one either. The huge crosses were typically of the 60's-70's and are also seen in films, comics etc. of that time.

21 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Could it be the Panther in MANHAY, Belgium? I haven´t been there but I know that there´s a military history museum as well.

I don't think so, the background is completely different. You can compare them with Google Streetview.

• 1 year later...

Checking my 1984 Battle of the Bulge: Then and Now, it is indeed Houffalize,it has a chapter near the end of the book, (and it's a big book with 532 pages) that has photos of both German and American Combat Fighting Vehicles and Artillery pieces, Anti Tank pieces etc that are in  existence in the Ardennes region from the fighting, seated as monuments etc.

So it is a Panzer from the 116th Panzer Division, it toppled off a bridge over the Ourthe River in Houffalize, didn't fall down far, but it fell on its side, and then rested partially upside down, apparently the Germans had no time to affect a recovery for whatever reason. In due course it was recovered, recovered by the American's we suppose and move away from the river, not sure when it was seated in the spot, but years later it was repainted in a color called Houffalize Green, called I guess by Modelers LOL, and given those big Balkan Crosses, and sits 300 yards from the bridge where it fell. Photo in this 1984 book of it shows the same White Pylons or whatever there called and the same exact paint scheme as in member's 1976 photo.

The Houffalize Panther has been put back in its spot recently after the cosmetic restoration was completed, and is currently wrapped in plastic while a small building is build around it to keep it indoors.