Photo of POW's ? Need Uniform(s) Identified

tom63

Another photo from my WW2 German negatives.  Can anyone ID the different uniforms worn by these men?  I assume they are prisoners being guarded by the German soldier behind them.   I am also assuming that they are prospective HIWI's (prisoner volunteers) as this photo was with the same group of negatives discussed in another thread,  Unknown Flak Crew Member and the guy discussed there also appears on this strip of negatives.  That jacket worn by the guy in the front, right sure looks like a US Army uniform jacket without the epaulettes.

HIWIs.JPG

To me they all look like Luftwaffe uniforms,  white work drillich and insignia-less Luft uniforms .The guy in the rear has no weapon for being a guard. Just my opinion.

9 hours ago, daskrieg said:

To me they all look like Luftwaffe uniforms,  white work drillich and insignia-less Luft uniforms .The guy in the rear has no weapon for being a guard. Just my opinion.

Daskrieg, Thanks for the reply. I know very little about military uniforms of any country but I am learning!  Looked up "white work drillich" and it does appear that two of the guys are wearing them.  Also appears to me that the German soldier in the background has a holster on his left hip.

Well well i missed that. Yes he is armed. Being several are wearing the blue uniforms without insignia it may be a penal unit

(German military prisoners). 

• 1 month later...

Found another photo that shows most of the group of men above.   They don't appear to being treated as ordinary prisoners/POWs.  Also, the two second and third from the right (holding hands) appear in another photo wearing Russian helmets and as part of AAA gun crews.  I'm still thinking they are Russian Hiwi's.

russian hiwi's.jpg

flakcrew2.jpg