Best WWII German Item of 2021

SARGE

Time to show the best WWII period German item that you picked up in 2021.  It does not have to be the rarest or most expensive find of the year but should be the thing that you like the best.  

I will start the thread out with a NSDAP Unit flag for the Kassel Police.  This flag is a "Fachschaft / Polizei-Kassel" NSDAP unit flag made in the form of a fringed Party Flag.  Similar in style to the SA Hoheitsfahne or the SS Sturmbannfahne, also known as a Storm Flag.  These slightly rectangular flags are seen in the Men-At-Arms Series (278), "Flags of The Third Reich 3:  Party & Police Units".  This flag is made of red woolen cloth (Schiffsflaggentuch) with a large black swastika within a white circle.  It is edged on three sides with silver-aluminum fringe and seven plain white metal rings attach the flag to a pole on the plain side.  This particular pole is not original to the flag but the rings are. There is a rectangular  black patch on the upper left canton with the police unit name embroidered in white Gothic lettering.  The flag is double sided and has the same motif and patches on both sides.  

I have been trying to buy this flag from the previous owner for years and finally succeeded this year.  I was pleased to finally add this flag to my collection.

Pol Kassel flag.JPG

Pol Kassel patch.JPG

Pol Kassel bottom ring.JPG

Fortunes Of War

Sarge-

Nice flag with the original rings!  The rings are often cut off, so you are fortunate that yours remain in place.  I collect Sturmfahne, so always appreciate seeing similarly "patched" flags.

Captured Luftwaffe helmet with papers. Got this from a relative but I was there when he found it at a gun show a few years ago and the paper was folded up in the liner and the seller didnt even realize it was there until after it was bought.

20211203_131945.jpg.a3e1077e1314202c6847c6627282a3de.jpg20211203_132008.jpg.f1196493bbb6aa948e113897e1cab339.jpg20211203_132018.jpg.a7ca7087b79bf73c59ff00bd710a65ae.jpg20211203_132048.jpg.eb597e94fe02a835dbe73126d6750c06.jpg20211203_132036.jpg.3af24d5a59a84d0624698f41f68e9074.jpg

Fortunes Of War

Jack-

It looks like the owner's name is penned inside.  Is that what I'm seeing?  Nice to have the papers with it...

Nice Luftwaffe helmet RAB.  It is always nice to find the bring-back papers with these items.  Especially as a surprise find.  I found the paperwork for a Walther PP stuck down in the toe of the holster once.  I always go through the pockets of uniforms as well because you never know what might be lurking in one.  

Thanks for the kudos on the flag guys.  This is a very early style as the Gothic unit lettering was replaced with a Polizei eagle after circa 1934.  So, this flag probably dates to circa 1933.  

Jack the Collector

Actually mine is something most 3rd Reich collectors would not give a second look to or have any interest in.I have only seen one,it was on a tunic at the Imperial War Museum.Other wise I have only seen them in reference books.Fire Protection Police driver's who were also trained in handling fire-fighting equipment Trade Badge. The badge was introduced in November 1942 and worn on the lower left arm.

25709_1.jpg

25709_3.jpg

Lovely items everyone, I'm glad to see lots of us had a great collecting year! 

This is my favorite German item of 2021, a cutoff SS Sleeve Eagle that's a rarer pattern. It came with a lot of other German items straight from the son of a 745th Tank Battalion vet.

10.jpg

16 hours ago, John4022 said:

Lovely items everyone, I'm glad to see lots of us had a great collecting year! 

This is my favorite German item of 2021, a cutoff SS Sleeve Eagle that's a rarer pattern. It came with a lot of other German items straight from the son of a 745th Tank Battalion vet.

10.jpg

Nice patch, I got in a group of items some Iraqi republican guard patches (Red triangle, wings and SF patch) that were cut from a Woodland DPM uniform.

Hey Guys,

Well, not my most expensive German item this past year by far, but definitely something I've been looking to get my hands on for quite sometime. This wartime postcard of the Freimann or Ernst Von Bergmann Kaserne, located just north of Munich, was the location (in and around) of a large battle on April 30, 1945 my Dad took part in. His Battalion received a DUC for it. I collect wartime postcards of notable locations in his journey through the ETO and this one was harder to find, and not cheap. 

Thanks!

James

51797718058_a4f20d61c0_k.jpg

51797965939_5d3e0a3a5a_k.jpg

More nice acquisitions from 2021.  Keep 'em coming.  I love seeing what others have found during the year. 

• 2 months later...

I acquired this box of film rolls last spring (2021).   There are more than 200 rolls of developed b&w negatives from wartime Germany.  As I go through them I've posted several of the scanned images here and on USMF.  With the help of many kind experts on these forums I have been able to date the lot from about 1940 to 1943 and actually pinpoint some of the locations where they were taken.  Thanks again to all that have helped me.  It's has been and is all VERY interesting and informative to this novice!

WW@ German Negatives -001.jpg

Neat stuff!  Period photographs and films often have very interesting stories to tell.  

Thanks for showing.

• 1 month later...
Tom Kibler

This was a mail-home trunk group I purchased from the grandson of the vet.  Complete with photo album of him picking up the Luft helmet.

IMG_5938.JPG

IMG_5942.JPG

IMG_5939.JPG

Or this group that I bought from a widow.  It's been pretty dry here in PA, but the end of 2021 scratched that itch well.  The Knight's Cross is a Sedlatzak cross, which certainly shows wear and was no doubt, his "wear" piece.

RK.1.jpeg

RK.5.jpeg

M35.1.jpg

M35.2.jpeg

M35.3.jpeg

2nd.Luft.1.jpeg

2nd.Luft.2.jpeg

Neat finds.  I love this stuff that comes out of the blue.  

Hi Guys, I've posted these on this forum already but these are two of my best pickups of 2021. Heer Transport from Clemens Wagner and an early Pioneer from Peküro

Screenshot (4).png

IMG_20210402_174454.jpg

I particularly like the early Pioneer.  One rarely sees this early insignia still intact.