SA Sturmfahne

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

This is an early SA Sturmfahne that I picked up many years ago.  It has a static swaz and multiple unit patches.  The patch in the upper left is brown cloth backed.  Sorry, I can't remember if the bullion surrounding it is gold or silver.  The flag was removed from the pole by cutting the white loops and leaving the rings attached to the staff.

IMG_0770 (2).JPG

IMG_0772 (2).JPG

IMG_0771 (2).JPG

Thanks for showing a really nice early Sturmfahne showing long use and interesting manufacturing variations.  One sees these early flags with the "static" squared off swastika instead of the later standard "tilted" version in photos.  They really stand out if you are looking for them.  The five different unit designations on this flag are seldom seen as well.  I particularly like the different forms of embroidery of the unit designations showing the changes over time.  I also notice the lack of fringe as might be expected on an early SA Sturmfahne.  

Nice!

Fortunes Of War

Thank you Sarge and Jack-

I have a couple of other early sturmfahne and some later ones as well.  I'll try and see if I can dig 'em out.  A number have other colored unit patches sewn to the same flag- quite interesting.