Your favorite medal

Historybuff00

Historybuff00

Hi everyone. If this topic exist already I apologize.  I want to see everyone’s(one) favorite medal. Weather military or given out to civilians. Something they’re excited to show off!  I’m new to the collection world so here’s mine. The Mothers cross. The story behind it I find quite interesting. 

AEC93B82-FBE8-4861-BC24-52DFEBB956EE.jpeg

BBF8A5F2-F025-4A14-A743-ABE65C039E44.jpeg

Perhaps my current favorite award is the WWII German War Wounded Sports Badge.  These are quite scarce, reproduced, and generally hard to find.  I looked for a good one for a long time while collecting other German Sports Badges.  The War Wounded badge has a silver colored center to differentiate it from the regular one color award.  The criteria were modified for war disabled soldiers to successfully compete for this sports badge.

War Wounded DRL.JPG

War Wounded DRL back.JPG

22 hours ago, Historybuff00 said:

I’m new to the collection world so here’s mine. The Mothers cross.

That one is rather "pretty".  My brother picked up one in the 1960's that was in the original envelope with the ribbon.  They were dirt cheap back then.  

Since this Forum is Non-US, I guess we should come up with our fav medal that isn't one issued by the US.  Hmmmm.

Historybuff00
9 hours ago, SARGE said:

Perhaps my current favorite award is the WWII German War Wounded Sports Badge.  These are quite scarce, reproduced, and generally hard to find.  I looked for a good one for a long time while collecting other German Sports Badges.  The War Wounded badge has a silver colored center to differentiate it from the regular one color award.  The criteria were modified for war disabled soldiers to successfully compete for this sports badge.

War Wounded DRL.JPG

War Wounded DRL back.JPG

Awesome!

The Efficiency Medal awarded since 1930 by British Commonwealth Forces, although the U.K. no longer use’s it some of its former colonies do. The country of issue is on the suspension bar, the U.K. one has the word TERRITORIAL or T.& A.V.R.

A hard award to earn 12 years continuous service (at least 30 days per year)in the Territoral(part time) Army.

F58141BA-EC54-4D06-B148-C46009F90F4B.png.019e615f7cb72f0cc2c010e533953c95.png

1D54D477-C0D0-42B1-9325-7472BE39941C.png.99f53334d36c16f2233d5111a10a1043.png

AEDAD0B1-A221-47F4-9E12-BDE04C227A9B.png.d0fbcd5c52258ea71cfa1f0422be9418.png

all awards are named to the recipient 

19 hours ago, Custermen said:

Since this Forum is Non-US, I guess we should come up with our fav medal that isn't one issued by the US.  Hmmmm.

You may choose a US award. For an across-the-board topic like this, US classifies as "World" in regards to militaria! It is just that strictly US-only posting/boards should be done on the sister site which has a lot more options and boards! But, if you favorite worldwide military medal is US . . . by all means, feel free to add it to this thread! :)

@Historybuff00 - Really fun idea for a thread! I'll be back to post mine!

Tough one to choose . . . For pure aesthetic beauty and the fact that I'm just drawn to them . . . It would have to be the multi-Country issued WWI Victory Medal.

But, for interest, it would be the French medal - Medaille de la Resistance. The French Resistance is my history passion really, and this medal kind of is symbolic by itself, even without other additions!

medalresistance 1.JPG

Great thread idea with awesome medals being shared!

This is one of my favorite medals, the Northern Front Cross. It was awarded to Finnish & German soldiers who fought in Finland. There's a couple different variations of these out there. Always thought this was a cool design.

image_3347170.jpg

image_3347171.jpg

Well here is one from a "foreign country" --- sorta.  It is a veteran's association medal.  

This medal was issued by the United Confederate Veterans to members who had served in General Nathan Bedford Forrest's Cavalry Corps.  I have a replica of this but I think this one is an original.  I don't know when it was issued but probably around 1900 and possibly at the 1909 UCV Reunion in Memphis.  

10843926_forrest-cavalry-corpsmedal.jpg.d85cfacd42db7af1b9c9330467321633.jpg

The overall length of this piece is 4 7/8" long. This badge consists of three pieces which are connected by chain links as follows: The top piece measures 2" wide and 3/4" high. It features the likeness of General Robert E. Lee at the center flanked by the Third National Confederate Flag on the left and the Confederate Flag on the right (both flags in red, white, and blue enamel). Below the likeness is the word "Member". The middle piece measures 1 7/8" wide and just under 3/4" high. It has blue enamel and bears the words "Forrest Cavalry Corps". The bottom piece measures 1 3/4" wide and 1 7/8" high.  The front reads "General B. Forrest" and the back has an image of the Third National Confederate Flag.

My Gr-gr-grandfather was killed at the Battle of Fort Pillow, 12 April 1864, while serving in the cavalry in the brigade of General James R. Chalmers, who was under the command of General Forrest, who was under the command of General Stephen D. Lee, my other favorite CW general.  

What a great topic! Really enjoying seeing the variety of medals. 

Without a doubt, there's one medal that takes the cake for me, and that's the UK's Crimea Medal. It was the idea of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who wished to honor the many brave men fighting in the Crimea and was approved in December 1854. The medals were given/sent to the soldier or to his next of kin (if he died during the war). Not only are they beautiful medals, but I just love the idea that the men and their families who were actually involved in that campaign had those medals. 

Of all the Crimea Medals out there, here's a picture of my personal favorite -- as it was awarded to my hero, a Guardsman who fell at Inkerman.

3920786_GCCEMedal.jpg.b934c1ddc4ec716fc7c25904f3079ffb.jpg

As this (being my favorite) is unattainable, I do have a rather pretty reproduction framed here in my desk as a beautiful reminder of a brave soldier and his family.

1609563103_January102022.JPG.5503e6baa7c9091950334adabb54f386.JPG

Without a doubt, my favorite is my Great Grandfather’s Broken 1914 Iron Cross second class that I was given after my first deployment from Iraq by my Great Aunt along with these other amazing items of his.  He was so proud of it it carried it in his pocket everyday until he died (hence why it is broke I presume).

not worth much to a collector; priceless to me.  I have many amazing medals, but this has a personal connection.

Honorable mentions are: a German Weirmar RKL Sports Wreath in silver and a British WWI Military Merit Medal (in grouping) to CPL Hogan (there is something awesome about British medals because they are personalized.)

45831B92-702B-41AB-A428-0B0EFE590A41.jpeg