A type 90 rescued and saved for the future

ScottG

A mere three hours ago this helmet was painted black, with a huge bright yellow "burst" emanating from the red painted star... It was hideous. But about 2 hours of cleaning with some Goof Off and I think its a keeper! It is dated 1940 and in overall nice used condition. It came out of a local museum and was given to me today for the museum that I am President of. So, a free helmet that was a mess, is now a pretty decent helmet that will go on a mannequin for our WWII exhibit. Hope you like it, still need to brush a little yellow residue from beneath the star.     Scott

DSCN0495.JPG

DSCN0496.JPG

DSCN0497.JPG

DSCN0498.JPG

DSCN0500.JPG

DSCN0501.JPG

9 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Great Helmet! You know we all want to see the "before" pictures!

BKW

I didn't take any but will see if I can find the pics the other museum sent me.  Scott

6 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

Thanks for the "before" photo! Great job on the paint removal!

BKW

Glad I was able to retrieve one of them... Not sure why I didn't take some as I went along, just started working on it and before I knew it I was done! Thanks for all the nice comments, I think it turned out pretty nice and its certainly collection worthy in this condition.    Scott

11 hours ago, St.Lukas said:

I think I saw this paint job in a French reference book on steel helmets as being used postwar by another Asian country 

When it was donated it was brought in by the Son of the vet. He said they painted it when they were kids so they could play with it. The black seemed to have been on there for quite some time and removed fairly easily, the yellow was quite difficult and as you can see there is still some built up around the star. I didn't want to try and remove the star to get it all as I didn't want to break the prongs.    Scott

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys, it was a great hidden example and I was surprised at how easy the paint came off. Usually it takes days to get a helmet back to normal.   Scott

• 2 months later...