Asahi Rising Sun Flag. REAL?

knd643

Possibly getting this rising sun flag and was wanting others opinions on it first before I pull the trigger since im not to familiar with rising sun flags. Seller says its 34in tall by 41.5 wide and that some stitching is coming out in some areas a little and one corner tab has a tear under it. Was possibly nailed up at some point. Thank you.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Fortunes Of War

The plain Japanese battle flag, much like the plain Japanese national flag (in other words, flags that lack kanji characters written upon them), are difficult to type to wartime and/or pre-wartime manufacture.  I have seen a number of explanations for whether a battle flag is wartime or not.  I am not fully convinced of many of these and prefer to rely upon context and experience when determining timeframe.  When I offer for sale or purchase one of these for my own collection, I try and do so based upon where the flag is coming from (veteran purchase, estate sale, etc.), and hopefully other items with it that can add to context (I have purchased battle flags in Japan that were being sold along with a man's WW2 belongings.).  That being said, there are a couple of battle flag types that do stand out as having been made in the 1970's and sold worldwide.  These now have age and have been around long enough that some collectors ID them as authentic wartime pieces.  I would prefer not discuss those factors but will say that based upon your images, your flag does not appear to be one of those.  

Thank you for the information. Someone on another forum informed me that the flag is a civilian made flag. From what I understand the main way to confirm if it is WW2 or not is to black light it which the seller told me he does not have one. Seller is asking $305 shipped for the flag. Not to sure whether or not this is a fair price though. 

Fortunes Of War

Black light testing is not a panacea for determining authenticity.  It is simply one tool that may lead you to examining other factors of authenticity.  For example, if an item is laundered, detergents can cause material to glow; even material laundered during WW2 will glow.  These flags were made for the military and also made and purchased by civilians.  Silk screened "civilian-made" rayed flags carried into battle are very desirable to collectors.