Colonel Klink's Picklehaube

patches

• 5 months later...

Sorry for the late reply,

Major fan of Hogan's Hero's.

I think my main reason for getting a Haube was to recreate that iconic photo.

In the first few episodes , The Wappen is painted on Klink's Haube,

But in later episodes , it is replaced with a real one. Prussian Cavalry to be exact.

Semper Fi

Phil 

8 hours ago, Mr.Jerry said:

I always thought that was a Garde eagle without the usually seen Garde star.

It is a curious one, it is not a Dragoon one, but there were Dragoon ones with this type eagle without the Guard Star. But on the other hand the Klink one is legit could be for one of the Line Grenadier Regiments.

lf.jpg

I think they put an extra tall spike on Klink's helmet so they could get the proper effect of the picture.

Steve

In some episodes they are tall spikes and then it's a NCO size.

Has to have been several for that show.

Just found that Hogans A-2  and also Klink's jacket along with Sgt Shultz over coat are in a Ohio Military collection.

Yeah Bucketlist of things I would love to cherish 

Speaking of being a fan, I started to look into Col. Hogan(Bob Crane)

Found and watch a Biography crime/drama called "Auto Focus"

about Bob and his life and End.

That made me go WOW BOB!!!

Semper Fi

Phil 

• 1 month later...
ww1czechlegion

The eagle in question in opening post is a Guard Regiment eagle minus the guard star that would have been attached to the chest of the eagle through the 2-slots visible on the eagle chest area. Jerry is correct in pointing this out about the eagle.

Does anyone notice the silver visor trim on the Rear visor? That was only used on Firemen helmets, where they had visor trim on the rear visor. Normal infantry or cavalry Leather Helmets did not use visor trim on the edge of the back visor.

I agree that seeing the helmet on the desk of Colonel Klink made me want to have a pickelhaube helmet when I was a kid watching the show. I had no idea there were so many different types of these helmets when I was a kid.

Best Wishes,

Alan

On 7/2/2022 at 5:10 PM, AZPhil said:

In some episodes they are tall spikes and then it's a NCO size.

Has to have been several for that show.

Just found that Hogans A-2  and also Klink's jacket along with Sgt Shultz over coat are in a Ohio Military collection.

Yeah Bucketlist of things I would love to cherish 

Speaking of being a fan, I started to look into Col. Hogan(Bob Crane)

Found and watch a Biography crime/drama called "Auto Focus"

about Bob and his life and End.

That made me go WOW BOB!!!

Semper Fi

Phil 

Is it a public Ohio collection? This is such a fabulous show and reading the ideas of the Haube is fun! I've often wondered about it myself . . . 

Carrabassett

What kid in the 60's or early 70's didn't fantasize about having a pickelhaube or any German memorabilia after watching Hogan's Heroes? My absolute favorite show growing up! It's probably what started my collecting bug over 50 years ago! F-Troop, McHale's Navy, Ba Ba Blacksheep, etc. were also on the top of the watch list.

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...
Louis Pollaro

There were 4 different spike helmets used in the TV series. One primary helmet that had a conventional spike with a Garde Prussian eagle that was devoid of the decorative star. Then the one with the tall spike that was featured at the beginning of each show during the title sequence and used only one time on Klink’s desk for one show. Another on one more show a similar helmet with the standard WW1 Eagle plate that Hogan uses to smash walnuts on Klink’s desk. And finally on one episode a fireman’s helmet that has the same helmet hull as the rest of the helmets. All of these helmets were fabricated by a Hollywood prop department using bits and pieces of real helmets. After contacting Werner Keplerer’s daughter, she says it’s a mystery as to what happened to any of the helmets that were on the show. I suspect that members of the crew took the helmets or even John Banner may have obsconded with them.

More than likely, William A. Callahan, the producer of the last season took the primary prop helmet. I should have asked him when I met him at his office in Dallas back it the late seventies. He went back to Hollywood shortly after that.