Finished a Japanese mannequin today

ScottG

We have been waiting for a while for a decent Japanese type 90 Army helmet to come in to the museum. This past weekend I was able to get one and "save" it as it was painted black, yellow and red. (see helmet forum for pics). So today the army mannequin was assembled and he is looking pretty decent. Hope you all like him. Also shown are some other Japanese items we currently have on exhibit. They were taken through glass so sorry for the glare... Scott

DSCN0503.JPG

DSCN0504.JPG

DSCN0506.JPG

DSCN0505.JPG

DSCN0507.JPG

Thanks everyone, as you can imagine it took a while to assemble. We have a very small budget so our items are mostly donated. Something I have always found interesting is the "supply and demand" issue in collecting Japanese vs. German WWII. In nearly 6 years I have had two very nice SS helmets come in and get donated by either the vet or a family member. In addition to those, perhaps 10 other German WWII helmets (army, luftwaffe, camo, police...) During that same period of time only one Japanese helmet SHELL has come through the door. The helmet on this mannequin was from another museum as it was painted black, yellow and red and they didn't want it. I worked at it for a couple of hours with Goof Off and restored it to what you see, a nice size small complete type 90. The same goes for most other Japanese items. We have several German gas masks, only two Japanese and one is civilian. Much, much harder to collect Japanese than German.       Scott

Fortunes Of War

That is a nice mannequin display, Scott.  It looks like your soldier also has the later war rubberized cartridge boxes and belt.  Hopefully it is in pretty good shape, as these are often brittle or cracked.  Do you have the rear ammo pouch and oiler too?  Thanks for posting.

4 hours ago, Fortunes Of War said:

That is a nice mannequin display, Scott.  It looks like your soldier also has the later war rubberized cartridge boxes and belt.  Hopefully it is in pretty good shape, as these are often brittle or cracked.  Do you have the rear ammo pouch and oiler too?  Thanks for posting.

You are correct and its in decent shape as far as flexibility though there is some cracking near the buckle as is often seen. Yes there is a rear matching pouch with oiler as well as the bayonet, haversack and canteen on this mannequin. We also have the shovel and gas mask but decided not to add them as its somewhat accessible to visitors in its current location. Thanks for the kind words.   Scott

Fortunes Of War

A beautiful set-up, for sure.  Thank you for the additional comments.

With all do respect and not trying to be negative but are you aware of the shortcomings of manakin display? It often puts undue stress on gear. It can stretch out straps etc. Fabrics can fade, discolor and show “ ghosts” where a strap etc lays across. Then there’s dust and overall exposure .

39 minutes ago, St.Lukas said:

With all do respect and not trying to be negative but are you aware of the shortcomings of manakin display? It often puts undue stress on gear. It can stretch out straps etc. Fabrics can fade, discolor and show “ ghosts” where a strap etc lays across. Then there’s dust and overall exposure .

Yes and it is certainly a balance for museums to do this. In the case of the Japanese mannequin, it is not near uv light and all of the equipment is in good enough condition to be displayed on our regular rotation which is generally 1-2 years then back to storage. Dust is dust, it happens in exhibits, cabinets, boxes etc... Not much to do with it but mitigation. We have approximately 70 full mannequin displays in the museum and another 50 or so on torso's. Several of us are museum professionals with degree's in preservation, history etc... No offence taken and thanks for the input.    Scott

Very nice display, well done. I wonder if the supply of Japanese gear compared to German is the fact that there was about half the troops compared to the Germans?

The display with the LMG, is that a pole bayonet?

Thanks for showing

49 minutes ago, tthen said:

Very nice display, well done. I wonder if the supply of Japanese gear compared to German is the fact that there was about half the troops compared to the Germans?

The display with the LMG, is that a pole bayonet?

Thanks for showing

Not sure what the numbers were at the end of the war as far as material, but the US came into contact with only a small portion of the Japanese Military in the islands. Most were in China, Burma etc...Also, most Japanese items are not as "fancy" as German items.

Yes it is a pole bayonet brought home by a sailor. Thanks for the compliments!   Scott

• 5 months later...
Fortunes Of War

Preppy Picker-

I think the detailed Japanese mannequins are pretty nice as well.  On the other hand, some folks have said that they are so life-like, that they sometimes give them the creeps!  In any case, I bought mine from Yanks Mannequins.  See enclosed link:

https://yanksmannequins.com/small-male-mannequins/23-military-mannequin-japanese-asian-nva-vietcong-vietnam-mdj01-0053176075112.html?yoReviewsPage=4

Preppy Picker
1 hour ago, Fortunes Of War said:

Preppy Picker-

I think the detailed Japanese mannequins are pretty nice as well.  On the other hand, some folks have said that they are so life-like, that they sometimes give them the creeps!  In any case, I bought mine from Yanks Mannequins.  See enclosed link:

https://yanksmannequins.com/small-male-mannequins/23-military-mannequin-japanese-asian-nva-vietcong-vietnam-mdj01-0053176075112.html?yoReviewsPage=4

Thanks for that!!

• 1 month later...