Caring for Leather Militaria

Dominik

I have a few pairs of leather boots from WW2 and a Luftwaffe fighter pilots jacket. I was just wondering though if it was safe to rub on some leather care in order to better preserve and treat it? Any help is appreciated.

• 5 months later...

Good day Dominik. I am no expert but no one seems to have provided a concise answer. I have been trying for some years to find an answer to preserving old leather. Most "experts" suggest that any leather preservation oil only damages the leather. I finally used a product from Pecard Leather Care Co., Inc. on a Civil War era leather cartridge box and it did a decent job. I suggest You start by going  to their web site and ask them specific questions. I found they responded quickly and provided information as to which of their products were best suited for your needs. Give it a try. 

Ron

Dune Panther

I did not know there was a question on the forum about preserving leather. But when I saw this, I thought I would add something that has worked very well for me over the years - Leather Dressing by Langlitz Leathers. Langlitz has been around since 1947 and has a well earned reputation as producers of some of the finest and most durable leather garments available, anyplace. And back when law enforcement agencies outfitted their personnel (such as motor officers) in high quality leathers, it was often Langlitz that supplied them. And for good reason, they were literally custom made suits of armor designed to protect a body from punishment when being flung across pavement at high speed (like in an accident). 

I found an old, late 40s "green label" Langlitz jacket in an antique store once that fit me like a glove. A rare find but it was not in the best of shape. Leather dressing by Langlitz saved it. And other jackets I later acquired brand new from Langlitz all got the same treatment, keeping them pristine. Here are some links with additional information:

https://www.langlitz.com/product/leather-dressing/

https://www.langlitz.com/

However. Given the sort of garments mentioned (especially the Luftwaffe pilot's jacket), I would be extremely hesitant in applying anything without having done a lot of research first. Then you can weigh your options and go from there. You might even try tracking down the companies that made the jacket & boots and if they are still in business (always a possibility), then you may consider contacting them. Reaching out to Langlitz directly, and also following-up on rgrieve's suggestion above, would be a solid start.

Good luck to you.

Always a controversial topic and it is best to "do no harm" by doing nothing if possible. 

Otherwise, do your due diligence and find a treatment that you can live with.  Bear in mind that leather is just dead animal skin and no amount of any treatment will bring it back to life.