Portuguese Army Uniform and Gear Torso

ScottG

Here is a Corporal of the Portuguese Infantry. It consists of jacket, shirt, trousers, web gear with canteen, cap, beret, and "hunters knife". The Portuguese African Wars seem to be under collected especially given the length of time they fought and the scope of the operations. Pretty much overshadowed by the US in Vietnam but from 1961-74 they ran operations in Angola, Mozambique, Guinea-Bissau, and Cape Verde. This uniform is quite small so I used a torso. I also have the trousers and boots (shown) and maybe one day I will invest in a small Yanks mannequin to add the rest with the pack etc...     Scott.

DSCN0583.JPG

DSCN0580.JPG

DSCN0578.JPG

DSCN0581.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed it Paul, as I mentioned, given the length and scope of their colonial wars I am surprised there isn't more interest in collecting this area. I picked these items up when they were cheap and some of them are getting a but tough to find. Hope all is well with you and the family!   Scott

• 2 months later...

I very much find the Portuguese colonial wars in Africa to be of interest. I agree it seems under appreciated as a topic of interest. Really anyone who is interested in the Rhodesian and South African bush/border wars should also study the Portuguese conflicts as they directly influenced the others. I have a few Portuguese uniforms myself but nothing very noteworthy. Thanks for sharing. 

On 4/10/2022 at 5:53 PM, AKC123 said:

I very much find the Portuguese colonial wars in Africa to be of interest. I agree it seems under appreciated as a topic of interest. Really anyone who is interested in the Rhodesian and South African bush/border wars should also study the Portuguese conflicts as they directly influenced the others. I have a few Portuguese uniforms myself but nothing very noteworthy. Thanks for sharing. 

Thanks for the compliment and please feel free to share your items here. I for one would love to see them!   Scott

• 1 year later...
LizardCollector

That's a nice setup! I recall maybe like four or five years back, there were a few people selling these M1964 shirts off by the bail for under $20 but finding them in an average American size was hard even then. I think after I started collecting Lizard stuff, I've found maybe a half dozen or so items in my size (42" to 44" chest and a 32" to 34" waist) the rest is so absurdly small, almost child size. I think I have maybe two M64 shirts in thise sizes and a couple of Portuguese Marine sets that are wearable, but WPG has started reproducing them in your average Western sizes and they're pretty spot on minus a few small differences. Worth picking up for daily wear as the original ones are starting to dry up.