Some of my Iraq Insignia and Beret Collection

ScottG

For several years I was a moderator and later the admin on an Iraq Militaria Forum. The early days were quite interesting but as time progressed people were less interested in the history or identification of items and more interested in just playing at collecting, screwing each other over and running on about nonsense like the Fedayeen being similar to the SS etc... So, I let the forum basically run itself and I think its still there, though I never approve new members when I receive notices and I don't do upgrades. I left, I packed up most of my items in the basement and simply returned to other areas of collecting.

Recently I have been contacted by several "collectors" asking if I still had anything, and would I sell it. These were basically cold calls out of the blue and quite frankly a bit offensive. When I told one person no, he continued to badger me about it until he finally went away with the statement that I probably sold it all or never really had it at all! I mean, the forum was full of photographic evidence that I did but oh well, why read right???

So, I have been working in my basement lately and decided to clean up one cabinet that has no glass but I always used it to keep some of my Iraq insignia in. It also contains money from the republic (Saddam era) as well as i.d. cards and many other "smalls" so they won't get lost. Also shown are some US books we were issued while in country as well as a box of flags, Qatari insignia, Kuwaiti insignia and Iraqi fouragerre's (qardoons). The plastic box has kingdom era collar insignia sets. The berets represent both Desert Storm era as well as OIF as I was in both. They cover all of the known types from Air Force, Navy, Army, Special Forces, Thunder Troops, Logisitics, Military Police, and of course Republican Guard. The plastic bag contains a Republican Guard beret with General Staff insignia from the home of the "Ace of Diamonds". Nearly all of these items were sent home or brought home by me. One truth to the rude "collector" is that I did sell a ton, I sold nearly everything that I purchased while in Iraq, or that I traded for or bought when I came home.  Hope you like the photos.   Scott.

DSCN0596.JPG

DSCN0584.JPG

DSCN0588.JPG

DSCN0589.JPG

DSCN0590.JPG

DSCN0592.JPG

DSCN0593.JPG

DSCN0594.JPG

DSCN0585.JPG

DSCN0586.JPG

DSCN0587.JPG

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0595.JPG

DSCN0597.JPG

DSCN0598.JPG

DSCN0599.JPG

Hello Scott.

Very nice stuff. I never had much luck finding things when I was deployed but did build a small collection.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim