SAS Commando Knuckle Knife?

Tom Kibler

Here is a knife that my father had in his collection since I was a little kid (late 60's - early 70's). He never had a scabbard for it and it is unmarked save for a "WD" with an arrowhead. I believe this is a commonwealth marking? I was told that this is possible an SAS Middle East commando knife. Any input? I would love to know more about it. Thanks.

DSC03015.JPG

DSC03016.JPG

DSC03017.JPG

Charlie Flick

Hello Tom:

That is an interesting blade.  The pattern is generally called the "Middle East Commando Knife", according to Ron Flook who is the author of British and Commonwealth Military Knives.  Knives of similar appearance are described on pp. 32-34 of his book.  However, none of them have the WD/|\ marking that your example does and none shown the exact same blade profile of your knife.

The photo below shows an example of this type of knife in the field as used by 51 Commando in the Middle East.  (Photo credit to www.gotavapen.se)

The WD/|\ mark is that of the British War Department.  The arrow is the Broad Arrow insignia intended to signal government property.  Similar marks appear on a wide variety of British military items but the Broad Arrow with the WD mark is usually in the vertical position rather than the horizontal orientation as shown on your knife.

I must caution that it is possible that your knife is a fake or a reproduction.  I don't like to say that but must report that Flook states at page 234 under the section entitled Fakes and Reproductions as follows:

Middle East Commando Knife -- Examples with steel grips are incorrect, as are those with sheath knife Bowie-style blades riveted in place and marked with W/|\D.  So that these are not confused with some original pieces which do have blades riveted in place, a sketch of what a fake looks like is show at [illustration] 560

The illustration appears somewhat similar to your knife with a slightly different blade profile and, of course, the War Department marking is oriented differently.

You indicated that it had been owned by your family since the late 1960s or early '70s.  That would tend to lessen the chance that it was not genuine as knuckle knife fakery was not as established as it is today.  However, there was blade fakery going on back then so it cannot be ruled out on that basis alone.  A quick Google search of the term Middle East Commando Knife will show that this pattern is one that has been reproduced many times by many makers over the years.

I have not seen enough of these knives myself to be able to offer an opinion on whether your knife is genuine or a fake/reproduction. 

You might want to secure a copy of Ron Flook's book to read up on this.  It might also be worthwhile to contact Mr. Flook to seek his expert opinion on your knife.  His expertise on British military knives is well known.  If determined to be genuine your blade would have considerable value.

I hope that this has been helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Middle East Commando Knife 51 Commando credit www.gotavapen.se.jpg

What a wonderful mini dissertation!   Thanks.  My father collected since 1942.  He had several wonder pieces. I’ll look into it.  

Here’s another.  M.H.Cole

CF4F7A91-F657-419F-9398-44D84E92BAE6.jpeg

47623470-95D6-4950-8AE8-9A00EB29E3FA.jpeg