Early China-War Helmet and Japanese Soldier's Bring-Backs...

Fortunes Of War

Fortunes Of War

Since reviewing Paul's amazing collection of Chinese headgear, I was reminded of a few Chinese items that I had stashed away.  I purchased this grouping in Japan a number of years ago at an estate sale. The family told me that their relative had fought in the early years of the war with China; mid-late 1930's.  The pictured items were brought back to Japan upon his triumphant return. The grouping also contained a traditional Chinese "head chopper" sword, but I missed acquiring that.  All of the items were kept stored in a heavy wooden box that had the veteran's information inked on the lid.  I am primarily a flag collector, so was most interested in the flags at the time I first saw everything.  Along with the man's good luck flag, he brought back a Chinese Nationalist Flag (red, white and blue), as well as a Kuomintang Flag (blue and white)  The helmet was a nice bonus and part of the collection.   

IMG_0880 (2).JPG

IMG_0883 (2).JPG

IMG_0884 (2).JPG

This is some great stuff, thanks for showing this. I don't know how wide the collecting community is for Chinese stuff but I'm sure these would be very desirable.

A decaled helmet in that condition with a back story is amazing, exactly as it should be, M35, factory paint, that has to be an very rare German helmet. Would you mind showing more photos with the liner and any dates.

Steve.

Fortunes Of War

Here are some images of the helmet liner, Mfg/size, and lot #'s.  Note the stamp above the leather finger...

IMG_0893 (2).JPG

IMG_0894 (2).JPG

IMG_0895 (2).JPG

IMG_0881 (2).JPG

Very nice!

The shell was manufactured by "SE" (Sachsische Emaillier- und Stanzwerk, Lauter in size "64".  Can you read the embossed marking in the leather liner?

Fortunes Of War

I took a look at the stamp and although a bit difficult to read, is says "Schuberth Werke AG Braunschweig".  In the center is a number/designation, "Z63" over the number "55"  There is also a name written in kanji, but it is too faint to read.  In addition, the chin strap is stamped with the manufacture: "Carl Tesch-Berlin-1938". 

Here is an interesting article on the evolution and development of the early German helmet liners.

https://warspot.net/397-the-second-generation-of-the-stahlhelm

Fortunes Of War

Here is another similar stamp that comes from an early M35 DD Luftwaffe helmet.  The stamp often appears on early M35 helmets. 

early helmet liner stamp (2).jpg

Fortunes Of War

Hi Steve-

You are welcome!  I had it packed away, with only a few old images stored on my computer.  Fortunately, I came across it while reorganizing some of my headgear, so I could snap some new images.  Unfortunately, I don't have a display room, so my collection is scattered here, there and everywhere!

On 1/30/2022 at 2:48 PM, Fortunes Of War said:

Hi Steve-

You are welcome!  I had it packed away, with only a few old images stored on my computer.  Fortunately, I came across it while reorganizing some of my headgear, so I could snap some new images.  Unfortunately, I don't have a display room, so my collection is scattered here, there and everywhere!

I'm the same, if this pandemic has been good for anything it's giving me the time at home to sort through boxes of stuff, the the spare room is currently 'occupied territory' and about to be annexed for a display room.

Fortunes Of War

You are indeed a lucky guy if you have any kind of a display room (as are all of the guys here with a basement or attic collection room).  I'm a flag collector primarily and It doesn't take many to fill the walls of a standard bedroom.  My wife really hates mannequins of any kind, and if I take out too many pieces of headgear, it doesn't take long before I'm in real trouble!   

• 4 weeks later...