NSDAP Nuremberg Rally badge

Historybuff00

Go to solution Solved by Rakkasan187,

Historybuff00

Hello everyone. I came across this today. Really interested in it. But want to know if it’s  a authentic piece? And if the price is fair? Please let me know.
Selling price is $38. 

22DA437C-04DB-474C-8D24-2FC9CC5999AA.jpeg

9A76D266-E2EA-48EA-92A6-D7921F96C2AB.jpeg

Historybuff00
16 minutes ago, Gwar said:

There were several different versions of this piece..

Any way to tell if this piece is the real deal? How would I tell?

Historybuff00

Also noticed online there’s some with a pin back and a claps clip style back. So I guess for this style of rally Badge that might be normal?  You’re right though. There’s many different styles for the rally badges. 

• Solution

"Any way to tell if this piece is the real deal? How would I tell?"

The only way to really study these is to purchase reference books and study the topic inside and out. Seeing and actually handling authentic Tinnies and other related militaria will also help in determining authentic vs reproduction. 

I am not trying to be obtuse but if one is going to start collecting Third Reich militaria, I would like to strongly suggest that you invest first in your own reference materials.

There are numerous Tinnie Books available and if one wants to pursue purchasing them it would be beneficial and although they do not delve into information such as quantities of tinnies produced, the books will have some information regarding materials used, different makers marks and attachment methods. 

As GWAR has pointed out there are many versions of this particular rally badge and with each manufacturer there were some variations in the type of pin back used and it also looks like the end of the catch on this particular badge is broken off. 

With this being said, you also have to take in mind some of the rarer tinnies and day badges that have been reproduced. This particular Nuremburg badge is one of those that has been reproduced and it reflects in the price. I would expect these original rally badges to be in the $100.00+ range. I would be very, very skeptical that this is a period authentic (Pre May 1945) manufactured piece with the price of $38.00. 

I have a World War II Products LTD catalog book from the 1970's (Similar to Delta International Catalog) which sold lots of reproduction Third Reich militaria and this particular badge was listed in the book selling for $5.00, so in my humble opinion an obvious reproduction at that price..

Hope some of this information helps you

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

Historybuff00

I appreciate your feedback. I will look into getting some reference books to help me get better at what to look out for. It’s a bummer that this piece is probably a reproduction. But I’ll move on and hope to find something soon. 

Historybuff,

You are quite welcome..

When I started to collect 50 years ago, we (I) did not have the luxury and convenience of the internet, so many of us had to rely on what reference material that was available at the time. These were mostly black and white photos and in many instances the backs of the decorations were not shown (as it wasn't as important back then) as it is now. With the flood of reproductions and fakes it is necessary now to get really in-depth analysis and information. 

When I get back from my TDY trip (Will be back to work Monday), I may have several extra Third Reich reference books that I am willing to sell.

These books are some basic collector books, but I believe they will be just fine until you can decide if you are going to collect a specific area or Third Reich in general. 

Also, what you have been doing by asking questions is going to save you a lot of disappointment in the long run. It is always best to confirm before you purchase something only to find out an item is fake and you have wasted money. 

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

Jack the Collector
14 minutes ago, Historybuff00 said:

I will look into getting some reference books to help me get better at what to look out for.

I remember when I started collecting.My Grandfather gave me his war booty on my 10th birthday.The need for a "fix" never leaves you.It was no different 50 years ago than it is now,so what I am trying to say is I get your enthusiasm to buy the artifacts of that era.Not trying to dampen your desire to own some pieces of history but you can lose a lot of your hard earned money. I recommend if your determined to buy some artifacts you should stick to the reputable dealers but get the books ASAP ask any of us for guidance on the books.We have all been burned...it happens there are some really good fakes out there. One last thought for you unless there is some rock solid provenance never buy the story,buy the relic.

Some excellent advice Jack,,

We seem to have been cut from the same cloth as it were..

Passing the Torch to the younger generation is rewarding especially when younger collectors show interest and enthusiasm..

Bets regards, stay safe

Leigh 

Historybuff00
46 minutes ago, Rakkasan187 said:

Historybuff,

You are quite welcome..

When I started to collect 50 years ago, we (I) did not have the luxury and convenience of the internet, so many of us had to rely on what reference material that was available at the time. These were mostly black and white photos and in many instances the backs of the decorations were not shown (as it wasn't as important back then) as it is now. With the flood of reproductions and fakes it is necessary now to get really in-depth analysis and information. 

When I get back from my TDY trip (Will be back to work Monday), I may have several extra Third Reich reference books that I am willing to sell.

These books are some basic collector books, but I believe they will be just fine until you can decide if you are going to collect a specific area or Third Reich in general. 

Also, what you have been doing by asking questions is going to save you a lot of disappointment in the long run. It is always best to confirm before you purchase something only to find out an item is fake and you have wasted money. 

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

That would be great if you find some books you’re willing to part with. I’d be more then happy to buy them from you. Let me know. Thank you!

Jack the Collector
20 hours ago, Rakkasan187 said:

We seem to have been cut from the same cloth as it were..

You and I must have posted our response within seconds of each other,this thread is taking me down memory lane,Clyde Davis took me under his wing and was a wonderful mentor as was "Mr Stump". I had to chuckle at your description of the reference books back then.....what I used  were photo copies of them.