Group of Japanese Army Photos

GIKyle

Came across this photo lot which has a variety of photo content.  Some studio shots, wives/ girlfriends, field shots, etc.  one postcard and piece of paper, too.  Only a couple photos have writing on them.  I’m particularly interested to figure out what’s going on with the soldier bowing in front of a group of officers.  Appreciate your time!

EB8EAE0A-C9B3-43A3-A9DD-76C0EA7925A1.jpeg

2 hours ago, GIKyle said:

Came across this photo lot which has a variety of photo content.  Some studio shots, wives/ girlfriends, field shots, etc.  one postcard and piece of paper, too.  Only a couple photos have writing on them.  I’m particularly interested to figure out what’s going on with the soldier bowing in front of a group of officers.  Appreciate your time!

EB8EAE0A-C9B3-43A3-A9DD-76C0EA7925A1.jpeg

I'll take a guess and say maybe he is going to start or just finished a Sumo wrestling or Judo match?

Fortunes Of War

Agree with Shemp.  It looks like a gathering of military officers and/or VIP's.  The man who is bowing appears to be wearing traditional wrestler's mawashi or underwear.  Japanese men's underwear, on the other hand is called fundoshi  and looks very similar.  Japanese men no longer tend to wear fundoshi as their daily "tidy-whities".  Rather, now fundoshi tends to be worn during traditional Japanese festivals and other events. 

• 6 months later...