Unusual Japanese Knife (Short Sword?) and Sword

gwb123

While the main features at the Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum at Ashland, NE are the aircraft, they also have some ancillary exhibits of interest.  

One of the curious items there is identified as a "Japanese knife".  I am not sure what we are looking at here.  I am thinking it might be a short sword that was modified.

The exhibit card is only partially correct.  I believe wood has been used for knives in Japan for centuries.  But this is a pretty crude repair to this weapon.  

I'd be curious to know if anyone can discern any of the writing on the tag.

Send 80.jpg

Send 85.jpg

Currently in the same display case is a sword identified as Japanese that was gifted by our then ally Mao Zedung to Curtis Lemay.  

I'd be curious if the canvas casing around the sheath was a standard item. 

Send 60.jpg

Send 65.jpg

Another view of the current display case with the inevitable Arisaka rifle found in all exhibits of Japanese military items.

This gives a better view of the canvas covered sheath of the sword and the scale of the so called "knife".

There is also a "good luck" flag hanging on the wall which I shared in another thread.

Please keep the Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum in mind if you are driving cross country on I-80.  It is just outside of Omaha and well worth a 2 to 4 hour stop, especially for the Cold War history of our country. 

Opinions on these items are welcome.

Japanese Items.jpg

IMHO, the blade on the short sword has been modified since it has a habaki (collar) where the blade enters the wooden grips.  Hard to tell what the original blade looked like but I very much doubt the grip is Japanese made or original to the blade.  Wooden scabbards were generally common, particularly for storage of un-mounted blades.

The longer sword is a Type 8 or Type 19 kyu-gunto Officer sword.  The D guard is broken and missing a piece but I think it is a Type 19.  The addition of a leather or cloth cover on the scabbard is not uncommon.  These covers protected the sword while worn in the field.  

I hope this information is helpflul.