Japanese officer's sword and belt

mvmhm

Talk about perfect timing! Several years ago we accepted a long term loan of a Japanese officer's sword; the owner requested it's return last week, and the next day, as we were moving more items into the building a man stopped his car in the middle of the street and asked if we'd be interested in his Grandfather's war trophy - a Japanese officer's sword! He delivered it yesterday and it even includes the sword belt and hanger. We're waiting on the sailor's information (Richard Bailey.)

The drag is missing, but the belt is still nice and pliable.

The top of the pommel has a small disk with three leaves added - any idea? Someone said it was a family emblem, but I saw one identical to it on eBay when I was looking for a scabbard drag...which makes me think it's some manufacturers do-dad.

Mark sends

IMG_20220127_164209.jpg

IMG_20220127_164233.jpg

IMG_20220127_164507.jpg

IMG_20220127_164631.jpg

I guess that could be a Family Mon...looking on several Japanese sites it's the crest for "Tokugawa", which was one of the feudal Samurai Warlords back in the day.

Mark sends

The round silver disc on the pommel is indeed a family "Mon".  There are literally thousands of different ones and they are also seen on business signs and formal clothing.

The belt and hanger appear to be an early one for NCOs & Warrant Officers.  

I hope this is helpful.

21 hours ago, mvmhm said:

Thanks for the info! I assume Officers and Warrants carried the same style then?

Mark sends

No, these particular two piece belts and single tongue buckles were not worn by regular officers.  They were specifically authorized for Enlisted men and Warrant Officers.  The belt underwent some changes since authorization circa 1800s.  The shape of the rectangular metal piece holding the two leather pieces of the belt together underwent some changes over time due to changes in hangers to accommodate a change from two suspension rings on the scabbard to one.  Your belt, with two wire pieces at the bottom of this metal piece, was made specifically for NCOs and Warrant Officers during WWII.  It may be missing a leather cover over the buckle but it is identifiable from its configuration none the less.  

Your belt would be proper for a Warrant Officer wearing a Type 95 sword like the one you show it with.  A Lieutenant or above would have worn a belt with a buckle having two tongues.  

I hope this is helpful. 

22 hours ago, mvmhm said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant I assume officers and warrants wore the same pattern sword. Thanks for the info!

Mark sends

Yes, generally speaking since these officer style swords were private purchase and not items of issue like the NCO style swords.

And, Shemp those are very nice sword belts and hangers.