Memorial to Luftwaffe Officer Joseph Oestermann, shot down and killed 13AUG1940.

numbersix

Went for a yomp today at Harting Downs near Midhurst, West Sussex, Great Britain. As we entered Phillis Wood near Treyford we came across this small memorial to Hauptmann Joseph Oestermann, aged 35, the pilot of a Junkers 88A1 that was shot down on the morning of 13th August 1940 during the Battle of Britain. He was the only casualty of his crew, the survivors were taken as prisoners of war. He was shot down by  Pilot Officer Howard C Mayers of 601 Squadron based at the nearby RAF Tangmere Airfield.

The memorial is well maintained and garlanded with poppies. Below are the photographs I took today of it.

20220202_124819.jpg.180c75153ba06fed2c6a211d0c6fac51.jpg

20220202_124835.jpg.6e5c20cc2d51ec84e7134a18b9d17bd9.jpg

20220202_124833.jpg.c0cd653a6b940a092420c4e828ad1d1e.jpg

Incidentally, there is a very good Museum at the old Tangmere Airfield which I highly recommend to visit. The Airfield was closed in October 1970, the last time I visited the original control tower was still standing but there has been a fair bit of building, both houses and industrial, on the site.

16 minutes ago, Proud Kraut said:

Great gesture, thanks very much for sharing!

Very welcome, it was quite poignant and unexpected to stumble across it. I should point out he was 25 years old, not 35 as I stated above, the error was mine.

The chap who shot down Hauptmann Oestermann's JU88, Pilot Officer H C Mayers, was himself killed later in the War in 1942 whilst serving in the Middle East at the age of 32, sadly.

Yes very sad, but wonderfull to see all these remembrance poppies and small crosses at this location. My deepest respect. (My Grandpa was KIA / MIA during the Battle of Britain as well. He was a Do 17 / JU 88 pilot).

I am sorry for your loss. I have to say, it is really a very poignant and thoughtful memorial; I failed to take a wider photograph but amongst the surrounding branches glass poppies have been threaded, great care has been taken to mark the spot.