Vietnam Capture Jungle Made .45

Tom Kibler

I thought I had posted this here, long ago. But I cannot find it. So here is the story...

Early in my law enforcement career, my Chief and I became close. He enlisted in the Air Force Security Police in 1968. He was in Vietnam from the end of 1969 through the end of 1970. He was assigned to the 366 Security Police Squadron in Da Nang.

He once mentioned that the scene in the movie Forrest Gump, after the rain stopped falling, was the most realistic depiction of the war in Vietnam for him. He described a firefight in which his dear friend was disintegrated by an RPG. During this firefight, he distinguished himself.

Afterwards, he told me that he went up to the one NVA soldier that he knew he killed and removed a 1911 and holster. He said he wore it for a while before daring the regulations, forbidding him to bring it home. He said he just packed it up and mailed it home. And it arrived.

His squadron gave him the "Gunfighter" of the month award. 

He showed it to me and I immediately knew it was not a US Government issued 1911. I explained that it was actually quite rare. He laughed and said he never really looked over it that closely. It has a nail for the firing pin.

Sadly, earlier this year, he passed away unexpectedly. His family offered me this weapon. Additionally, I was able to get a flare used during that firefight and his bayonet. 

The photos are him, wearing this jungle made 1911. In honor of my friend and first Chief of Police.

421062_148961568589244_668572060_n.jpg

J Rudolph 2.jpg

J Rudolph 4.jpg

J Rudolph 5.jpg

J Rudolph 3 REDACTED copy.png

IMG_E2871.jpg

thumb_IMG_2864_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2865_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2867_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_E2864_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_E2866_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_E2868_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_E2869_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_E2870_1024.jpg

Now that is a neat rig.  I love the re-purposed leather holster alongside the pistol.  

• 3 months later...