M86 Pickelhaube

63cagedfalcon

63cagedfalcon

I have the opportunity the pick up this pickelhaub. It is in need of some help. Is it restorable? 

I believe this to be a M86/87 due to large plate, vines intertwined with lions legs. Chin strap has what looks to be a gold wash(?), possibly a replacement, but lions could be private purchase?

20220219_112006.jpg

20220219_111956.jpg

20220219_112017.jpg

20220219_112025.jpg

20220219_112031.jpg

20220219_112408.jpg

20220219_112506.jpg

20220219_112527.jpg

20220219_112531.jpg

The stitching looks to be intact.  Look to see if it is rotten.  Most of the parts and pieces appear to be there but most are badly misshapen.  The spike and leather body are badly smashed down.  You will have to take it apart and work on the shape then carefully put it back together again.  It can be made to look better but it depends on the price IMHO.  A lot of work if you know what you are doing.  Some bits seem to fit poorly so it may well be a put together parts helmet.  I would say do not buy it for more than the price of the parts.

Let's see what others say...

The front plate indicates a Reserve Officer so private purchase for certain.  Also make certain the plate is attached through a single set of holes in the leather corpus.  

I personally think you are on the right track price-wise for a project like this.  

• 1 month later...

I believe you can restore it yourself or get someone to do it for you. I will take a SWAG at this helmet as it looks to be put together. This is not to say it is illegitimate however it has a couple of items from a number of Bavarian type pickelhauben. The liner inside looks to be a private purchase helmet and the wide brass front visor indicates it to be senior NCO or or One Year Volunteer helmet. However lions on the side for holding the chinstrap on are found on Bavarian police pickelhauben. It should have some type side post for Bavarian officer or NCO helmets that would hold brass chin-scales. The chin-scales would be flat for infantry and rounded for cavalry and each side would have kokarden on the sides, blue/white Bavarian State (kokarden and Reichs (black/red/white). You can google Bavarian Officer Pickelhaube to get some nice pictures of similar helmets.

The helmet might be restored, however it takes time and patience. There is a website or two that discuss restoring a helmet and in fact take on such jobs.

John