Why did the DDR refer to their AKs with the term "Maschinenpistole"?

HeavyMetalNoise

HeavyMetalNoise

As a bunch of us know, the East German AK copies were referred to with the designation "Maschinenpistole", with names like MPi-K, MPi-KM, MPi-KMS-72, etc... However, I'm wondering why they used that term instead of "Sturmgewehr". I know the old StG 44 was once called the MP 44, and my research also tells me that the Romanians called their AKs "machine pistols", too, but I'm curious as to why this is when these guns clearly use rifle-caliber ammo.

Proud Kraut

Hello HeavyMetalNoise & welcome to the WMF!

Referring to the German language Kalashnikov Wikipedia site the term "Sturmgewehr" was rejected by the DDR as Nazi propaganda term. So all similar weapons were called Maschinenpistole.

9 hours ago, Proud Kraut said:

Hello HeavyMetalNoise & welcome to the WMF!

Referring to the German language Kalashnikov Wikipedia site the term "Sturmgewehr" was rejected by the DDR as Nazi propaganda term. So all similar weapons were called Maschinenpistole.

Which seems kinda odd given that the East Germans adopted wholly traditional looking uniforms and  insignia from the outset, while the West Germans did not at the beginning, then on the other hand the West Germans in due course allowed WWII Vets the right to wear their WWII Awards, the De Nazified Awards, while the East Germans never did.

• 6 months later...