WWI Honorable Exempt Lapel Pin

Otter42

Added the US one for comparison. 

These were given to civilians that weren't able or were necessary for the war effort at home. The pressure to join up was tremendous.

20220319_102107.jpg

20220319_102256.jpg

• 1 month later...
itemco16527

Wow, I had never heard of these, let alone seen them. Thanks for posting these! I learned something new today, and I'm only a half hour into the 2nd lol

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
triplecanopy

This is a similar lapel pin for exemption from military service from New Zealand. I don't recall which war it applied to; perhaps WWII.

IMG_1888.jpeg

IMG_1890.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg

Very nice, thanks for sharing. 

Found this online just now, along with more examples:

Before conscription was introduced in 1916, the army relied on voluntary recruitment. It was assumed by many that a man not in uniform was avoiding joining up and was therefore often accused of shirking their duty to their country. The famous white feather campaign saw men not in uniform presented with a white feather as a symbol of cowardice.

The official badges were intended to prove that the wearer was doing their duty to their country in a time of war in a different way. They were not in uniform, but they may have been working in munitions factories or in the dockyards carrying out work that was vital to the war effort.

After conscription, the need for these badges faded, along with the white feather campaign. However, many continued to be worn throughout the war, especially by female shift workers for whom the badge could give priority boarding and fare concessions on public transport, as well as indicating that there was nothing disreputable about these ladies travelling alone at night.

4_7.jpg

5_4.jpg

2_28.jpg

1_203.jpg