Heer Soldiers With SS Covers On Their Helmets

patches

Two of them here, they are from the 22nd Air Landing Division on Leros, the Greek Island, scene of that major debacle for the British in November 1943., an action so bad that sees the Commander of the 2nd Battalion The Royal Irish Fusiliers Lieutenant Colonel Maurice French Killed in Action, Two British Generals capture and on and on.

We see the KRIM Shield on the one, and that's because the 22.Luftlande Division seen action in the USSR, with action in the Crimea before being transferred to the Mediterranean theater as garrison troops, like on Crete. No idea where they acquired the SS Covers though. Note too the wholescale wear of tropical caps by them, and no doubt a lot of tropical Tunics.

t22nd_luftland_leros.jpg

57 minutes ago, Skysoldier80 said:

Do you own this photo?  Awesome, love the 22nd Luftlande Div

Online find, I find them post them and elaborate on them.

• 2 weeks later...

And this oft seen photo at Stalingrad, the Feldwebel with an SS Cover, not sure of unit, online sources say 24th Panzer Division.

24th_Panzer_Division_in_Stalingrad_(35505585386).png

• 1 month later...
Skysoldier80
On 4/1/2022 at 8:57 PM, patches said:

Online find, I find them post them and elaborate on them.

Well thanks for posting.

• 2 months later...

I found this today, we do see a Heer NCO on the left, that's clear, the NCO on the right, with the SS Camo cover and smock, we're also seeing Heer Litzen, but I'm not 100% sure as of yet he is Heer, we have to remember that the 4th SS Polizei Division wore Heer Litzen, at the beginning of the war and wore the SS Camo. Seeing that the Heer NCO is using a mosquito helmet net, this photo could be one taken in late summer of 1941 in the area heading towards Leningrad, an area that is marshy, and that NCO with the SS stuff is indeed from the 4th SS Polizei Division. a unit that indeed fought in that area, in example Luga south of Leningrad.

ss heer.PNG

• 1 month later...

This one is definitely Heer, an Officer with a SS Smock, note cap, and the buckle and officer litzen.. USSR , date probably in early 1943 as we see the man in the left foreground wearing what looks like a Mouse Grey reversible hooded jacket. but unit unknown.

werhmact ss smock.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...