ID´d: German Student Corps Hat

CaptainNevy007

Go to solution Solved by Preppy Picker,

CaptainNevy007

I have this hat that I am trying to identify - I believe its from WW1 era or perhaps earlier ... but I cannot find any similar looking ones in my searches ... any help is appreciated. 

Was in collection of military hats / helmets from my French grandfather who fought in ww1 ... so I know its authentic. 

Seems to be made of wool. Likely was a bit lighter in color originally. Markings inside say "Winand Schmitz   ... Engl. Magazin ... Bonn". I made an inquiry to the "hat museum" in Bonn to see if they had any info on this manufacturer/store but they did not.

Thanks! 

DSCN3880.jpg

DSCN3883.jpg

DSCN3879.jpg

DSCN3886.jpg

Proud Kraut

Hello CaptainNevy 007 and welcome to the WMF!

I´ll second what Preppy Picker has posted. Most probably student Corps Borussia Bonn.

CaptainNevy007

Thanks for the replies! Found some interesting photos on Wiki using your suggestion which look just like mine. 

Not sure how collectible this is but now I have something to research further - and learn about the student Corps in general. 

Preppy Picker

You have a very nice example of one I haven’t often seen. Not sure on value or desirability but not very optimistic. Very glad I can help.