Lion head roman short sword

Bamareb

Any info on this would be helpful—country of origin, date range, who used it, etc.  it is fairly old and well made—no looseness in blade.  I dont see any markings anywhere on it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Strange.  And, very strange construction with the tang of the blade coming through the guard like this.  Sharp points would not allow a comfortable grip for the hand.

It may be a theatrical prop?  

Interesting. Looks like an older blade that has been re-hilted rather poorly probably in the 19th century/Victorian era. The blade shape isn’t really “Roman” per se it’s more leaf shaped similarly to Greek swords like the xiphos. Could have been a stage weapon but I think more likely to be 

re-hilted to be Victorian wall decoration. Afraid I can’t guess as to the origin of the blade itself. 

Definitely and older piece and i agree that i dont think it is a thester prop.  It came out of an old military collection which contained some quality pieces from civil war through wwii.  Unfortunately collector had passed and family knew nothing about this particular piece.  I wish there were some markings of sorts but none to be found. Thanks for the feedback.