British Infantry Tank MATILDA Mk. III/IV

Proud Kraut

Proud Kraut

Before I´ll start a new modeling project at the USMF I had to build this Tamiya kit that has been sitting on a shelf for months.

The Matilda is produced by Tamiya since the 1970s. This is the latest upgrade of the kit which was released about 10 years ago.

Alltogether an excellent and very detailed model. Rubber tracks and single link tracks are included, also 3 figures. It was a smooth build finally.

Here are some pictures of the box, the sprues and the main parts of the tank before the final assembly. Looking forward to paint this interesting British desert camo pattern for the first time.

Mat00.jpg

Mat01.jpg

Mat02.jpg

Mat03.jpg

Mat04.jpg

Mat05.jpg

Mat06.jpg

Mat07.jpg

Mat08.jpg

Very nice so far. One of the better British designs. The only drawback I believe was its cross-country speed and 2pdr.(40mm) main gun. OK for 1940 since its armor could stand up to the short German 75mm guns of the Pz. IV at Arras, France. Still this is coming along nicely. I like the suspension. I'm looking forward to some more WIP pics. 

Semper Fi.

Manny

Proud Kraut

Thanks Manny! You´re right the armoring of this tank was remarkable. The 8.8 cm gun was the first German weapon which could neutralize the Matilda at long distance.

• 3 months later...

I missed this build.  How’s it coming along?  I still like these Tamiya kits, they have a great balance if detail and ease of building.  

Proud Kraut

Thanks! I'm afraid that the build of Cobra King has delayed this one a little bit. Will post some WIP pictures soon.

• 4 weeks later...

I was happy with my airbrush for many years but had more and more problems with it recently. So I decided to try something new this time. I found a IWATA NEO trigger airbrush at a good price. It came with a 0.35 mm needle. Did some first trials today and I must say it´s working perfect for me.

To paint the Matilda I had applied grey primer first. Today I airbrushed it with Vallejo 71.143 - UK Light Stone from the WWII British Africa Color set.

Iwata.jpg

Mat10.jpg

Mat11.jpg

So far it seems to be working out well, good luck with the finish ! I will be looking forward to more pictures, Tamiya has many great models. 

Tony

Thanks Tony!

Some more WIP photos. I choosed the Noth African 3 color camo for the Matilda, it´s something different. After masking the tank I applied Vallejo light blue and dark green colors. I´ll let the photos speak for themself.

Mat12.jpg

Mat13.jpg

Mat14.jpg

Mat15.jpg

Mat16.jpg

Mat17.jpg

Mat18.jpg

Great work so far. Some serious masking, but the 3-paint camo came out splendidly. Definitely 2 thumbs up.

Semper Fi.

Manny

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice tank build! Great paint job.  I'm glad to see you waltzing through working on the Matilda.

Sorry, I tried but just could not resist that. 

Mikie   

That´s it. After adding the figures and few more details I think I have finished the Matilda. I can only recommend this Tamiya kit. The parts are fitting exactly, it´s very detailed but not overdone. It was much fun to build and paint it. Some more final pictures before I´ll retun to the "Gun Truck" project at the USMF.

Thanks to everybody for their kind feedback, I really appreciate it!

Mat34.jpg

Mat35.jpg

Mat36.jpg

Mat37.jpg

Mat38.jpg

Mat39.jpg

Mat40.jpg

Excellent work Lars. The weathering is outstanding and very nice work on the figures. All you need now is a North African desert backdrop and it looks like I'm there.

Semper Fi.

Manny