unknown sword

mbec

Hi all, This sword was given to me long ago in the shape you see it. I think it may be German because i has the word Eigenthum on it which I think means property. however, someone ground off the owners name or unit. No makers mark, maybe nickel plating. The engraving looks nice, and I think the handle is maybe bakelite. Just looking for a country and time frame. I know one of you knows. Thanks

Mark

20220423_195200.jpg

20220423_195209.jpg

20220423_195241.jpg

20220423_195142.jpg

20220423_195120.jpg

20220423_195103.jpg

20220423_195216.jpg

Thanks G. That looks pretty close. After looking at countless images of European swords and not seeing any close you came through.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
DUSTY_MOTO

A slight observation, that may or may not be helpful...

The Original Poster (OP) last picture (bottom) shows the plastic bakelite (just a guess) shows an odd transition, from the bakelite to the metal.  That makes me wonder if this bakelight grip is not an original to the overall sword.  Seeing the grooves in the bakelite are helical (like the threads of a screw) end, to show it simulating a leather-wrapped cord or the like, shows to be quite similar in appearance to the bakelite examples of the subsequent replies in the thread.  This just makes me wonder if this is a non-original combination of parts.  Maybe the grip is from one area and era of the world, and other parts of your sword are from elsewhere.

In the past 12 months, I have found using "google glass" on my smartphone to be pretty helpful to search google images, with an inexpensive smart phone.  Maybe if you're able to disassemble, or photograph certain parts of the sword in question, that can help you identify it (or its parts)?  I hope this is helpful.