Bring back SS helmet from the Bulge

MattS

This was donated to our museum by the son of the vet that brought it home in 1945. It appears to be an earlier reissue M35 with a camo cover that has been on there for about 80 years. There are no plans to try and remove it. Looks like the rank and name could be researched, but that is beyond my abilities. 

6080DB70-B748-450C-99C8-C02703BCD4D9.jpeg

11B070B0-D137-4ABA-BF62-AC542A0FAAD9.jpeg

30CE6855-88D1-4C24-8B0E-0A1B01B719C1.jpeg

E4828AAB-8855-436C-8C36-4BBE3638ED0D.jpeg

779B2E15-B7C1-4E36-B4CE-086B072AF94C.jpeg

Interior, tag, and name. 

7BADF22B-21D2-4414-A7DE-4848ADA5405D.jpeg

FB81283A-2B8E-4FC7-9960-D8AA475512A5.jpeg

D957E19A-ADC3-4DD0-BE2B-1934C2422A9F.jpeg

4DE29A79-A0F5-4C60-B027-51FA8566494F.jpeg

0149C640-C455-4A82-BDEB-336327DC31DD.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Preppy Picker said:

That is a very handsome lid. Where is your museum ? 

Portland Indiana, thanks! 

Brian Keith

Great photos Matt!

The veteran, who sent this home, served in US Army, Sept, 1941-1945. He first trained in anti-aircraft artillery at Camp Walters, TX.

Overseas, he served in Europe with 557th Anti-Aircraft Artillery, Automatic Weapons Battalion (Mobile) and “C” Company, 335th Infantry, 84th Infantry Division.

We believe he mailed this home because other artifacts donated had a “Capture Certificate”, and this helmet was not listed.

I just saw this in person, and it is a really neat souvenir! Thanks for the rank info Proud Kraut!

BKW

Tom Kibler

That is something far more special than you might even realize. If in fact, that cover has not been off the helmet since the war than it is a true time capsule. A tremendous peace and if that helmet has a decal under the cover it is worth quite a lot! Well done and congratulations.

Brian Keith

Thanks for everyone's comments! Glad you enjoyed seeing it.

Tom, thanks for the additional comments. We do realize it is a very special helmet. With the soldier having written in his name and "SS Panzergrenadier", we are confidant it is a "real" SS helmet. While it would be good to know if it does have any decals, as you can see, the cover is stressed where the elastic(?) from the cover clips has pulled on it. It is very likely it would cause more damage if it were moved. The tag was put on by the vet, probably in the late '40's early '50's time frame. We've been told he used an old chicken coop and made a "man cave" in it at that time and had his war souvenirs in there. The vet tagged other items in this same manner.

For now, it will remain a mystery if it has a decal.

BKW 

• 1 month later...
Brian Keith

I’m working on the text for the label for this helmet; I have a couple of questions for those who are better qualified to answer than I.

Does this pattern camouflage cover have an official name? Was it only used by the SS?

Can someone spell out the soldiers name so I can have it correctly in the text of the label? It looks like: “SS Panz. G. A. Midjelbaels”. I am sure I have it incorrectly!

Thanks for any info and assistance.

Is there any way to research this soldier from this information?

BKW

Dune Panther
7 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

I’m working on the text for the label for this helmet; I have a couple of questions for those who are better qualified to answer than I.

Does this pattern camouflage cover have an official name? Was it only used by the SS?

Can someone spell out the soldiers name so I can have it correctly in the text of the label? It looks like: “SS Panz. G. A. Midjelbaels”. I am sure I have it incorrectly!

Thanks for any info and assistance.

Is there any way to research this soldier from this information?

BKW

I do not believe this specific SS camouflage pattern variation has a known official name. That is, it may have had an official name but if it did, that name has so far been lost & undiscovered since the TR ended.

There are plenty of names describing SS camouflage patterns but to my knowledge, all are postwar inventions made by collectors and those attempting to identify pattern variations. The postwar name of the pattern of the helmet cover is Oak-A and although not the "official" name, using that term may help with further research, if desired.

This pattern was developed by the SS and used overwhelmingly by the SS; the use of such SS camouflage outside of the SS was uncommon. However, there is photographic evidence that German troops outside of the SS turned up wearing it on occasion. One case in point is a post made by forum member Patches, showing a portrait of a Grenadier with the Hermann Göring Panzer Division wearing an SS camouflage helmet cover & SS camouflage smock over his Luftwaffe tunic:

https://www.worldmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/318389-hermann-goering-grenadier-portrait-1942-in-waffen-ss-camo/

SS camouflage is a popular subject. And there are many knowledgeable folks out there probably more familiar with it than I. So if I am mistaken about anything or if anyone can add further detail, I look forward to learning more.

7 hours ago, Brian Keith said:

I believe it's either Oak A or Oak B Camouflage pattern.  It is specifically for the SS, but the HG Division also used this as well.

Dune Panther
24 minutes ago, Tom Kibler said:

I believe it's either Oak A or Oak B Camouflage pattern.  It is specifically for the SS, but the HG Division also used this as well.

I think Oak A was the predominantly green side (for use generally during the spring & summer months) and Oak B the predominantly brown side (for fall & winter). 

23 hours ago, BBG said:

I think the last name is possibly Michelbach.

Here's a link to a Gunter Michelbach on Find a Grave:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/230589105/günter-michelbach

First name is an A as we see, just what, Albert, Alfred, Alfons, Alexander, Anton, August, Albrecht, Alois, Andreas, Adolf,  Achim, Adam etc etc, who knows maybe even Ansgar, another boys name, after Saint Ansgar  Apostel des Nordens Erzbischof von Hamburg-Bremen.

There are some pretty knowledgeable people on SS helmets and camouflage on the War Relics forum, you could post it there too for some opinions?

13 minutes ago, earlymb said:

There are some pretty knowledgeable people on SS helmets and camouflage on the War Relics forum, you could post it there too for some opinions?

x2