A Justizvollzugsanstalten Uniform

SARGE

The mention of a Justizvollzugsanstalten (Justice Police) Uniform ought to attract some attention as they are scarce in my experience.  I just picked up an interesting variation of the Justiz tunic yesterday that I thought I would show.  An obscure service branch including Criminal Court Officials, Jailers, and Prison Corrections Officers.  One cannot have a Police State without Jailers.  

This uniform differs from most Justiz tunics in that it has three outside slash pockets instead of the four pockets normally found on these tunics.  Almost all have a concealed button front as does this example that came from a local picker.  This style of tunic can be seen on page 177 of Ingo Lohken, "Polizei Uniformen der Suddeutschen Staaten 1872-1932".  The blouse that Lohken shows is a "kleiner Rock fur Offiziere" and has no insignia.  His is a variation of the normal four pocket Rockblusen worn by the Polizei & Gendarmerie of the Freistaat Bayern, and others.  BTW, the tunic came with the ribbon bar on sewn loops.

At any rate I was glad to find this variation locally although it needs to go to the cleaners.

Just tunic.JPG

Just tunic back.JPG

Just tunic chest.JPG

Just tunic insig.JPG

Just tunic ribbons.JPG

Off topic, but, if you chose to have it dry cleaned, would the modern cleaning process and detergents / chemicals give this piece a false reading if put under the black light test ? (Blacklight test is unreliable, IMO).. G

Thank you for the kudos.  One never knows where the next material culture artifact will show up.  It is the same with a walk-in at a militaria/gun show.  These particular Justiz uniforms are not only obscure but seem to  be variations on a theme as uniform regulations changed over time.  If the ribbon bar is original to this uniform (and it appears to be) the Cross of Honor was instituted on 13 July 1934 so this would be a NS Zeit uniform.  I suspect it is earlier than than 1934 but he could have been wearing it for years.  Anyway, here is an example of the later four pocket uniform for comparison.  

Gwar, you ask a very good question.  Short answer is yes it normally would.  Ask the cleaner to hand dry-clean it and not add brighteners.  Modern detergents have "brighteners" added to the soap and this is what will react to black light.  So, don't throw your cloth items in the washer either or you will get the same result.  I agree with you that a so-called black light test should be taken with a grain of salt and only considered as a possible red flag not a dis-qualifier.  BTW, some original wartime colors will also react such as Feuerwehr piping.

Justiz tunic.JPG

Justiz shooting manual.JPG

Justiz shooting stand close.JPG

Unfortunately no Justiz peaked cap in the collection.  I continue to look but so far there is no joy.  

I also continue to look for one of the Reichsjustiz (RJ) marked Walther PP pistols but condition and price have kept that acquisition away so far.