Possibly WW2 era Free French uniform find at flea market

Tonomachi

I picked this jacket and pants together last weekend at the flea market.  I knew it was French but nothing else and it didn't cost that much due to the moth damage to the upper right area of the jacket.   I started doing some research and found that the shoulder patch is for the First French Army which has the motto Rhine and Danube.  I believe the rank is Captain and this may be a WW2 era Free French uniform based on the ribbons which I believe are the Croix de Guerre 1939-45 (distinguishes themselves by acts of heroism in combat), Croix du Combattant (Combatant's Cross for fighting in combat for France),  Commemorative 1939-45 (WW2 Commemorative War Medal) and Palmes Academiques (Order of Academic Palms for distinguished academics or given to teachers).   There is a manufacture label (A. Conte) sewn to the inner pocket, brown stripes alongside the pant legs and the pants liner looks civilian.  I couldn't determine what the black collar tips signify as well as the silver bullion which I'm guessing is an exploding bomb.  There is no name written along the inside unfortunately.  Does anyone know what the collars signify and is this a WW2 vintage uniform?  

1st French Army Rhine & Danube (2).JPG

1st French Army Rhine & Danube (5).JPG

1st French Army Rhine & Danube (6).JPG

1st French Army Rhine & Danube (7).JPG

1st French Army Rhine & Danube (8).JPG

williamsmilitaryrelics

Hi

The uniform, tunic and pants are M1939 pattern officer, Staff Captain of the Chasseur D'afrique.

Nice!

Will

Thanks for the identification.  I just looked up Chasseur D'afrique and they were a light cavalry corps (armor) in Africa during WW2.  It says they initially fought against the Allies in Africa as part of the Viciy French Forces in 1941 which was surprising.  

• 2 weeks later...