Wish to Translate Relevant Portions of WW1 Season's Militarpass

dpast32

Hello Folks,  I finally took the incentive to photograph all the relevant portions of a very interesting WW1 era 'Militarpass' I picked up. From the little I've been able to discern, this Gefreiter appears to have participated in a good deal of combat. Initially, I thought he might have served with an Saxon Jager Regiment, however it looks like that was only his training unit, although I could indeed be wrong ? If anyone would be so kind as to assist me in deciphering this Infantryman's Western Front service, I will be very much appreciative. THANK YOU !!  ( Please excuse my possibility including duplicate photos, as I wanted to be sure I covered any / all relevant text. ) 

Best regards,    Dom P. 

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_1021.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_0991.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1018.jpg

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_1002.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_1007.jpg

IMG_0986.jpg

IMG_1009.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

Proud Kraut

This one will take some time. I´ll start with the basic informations: Jäger (rifleman) Otto Arno Schumann was born on March, 18th 1895 in Hetzdorf, Saxony. He was not married, had no children and lived in Freiberg, Saxony. His body size was 155 cm. Will be continued.

• 8 months later...

Hello Lars, I hope all is well in your world, as I haven't checked in with you in quite a while. I was reviewing this WW1 Saxon Militarpass, & wanted to check to see if you ever managed to determine any of his relevant dates, as in unit transfers, & similar matters. I am also very interested in determining if in fact he was ever awarded any Decorations for his service ? I know many Season's received the Friedrich August Medal during the War, but as this Pass in written in that so very difficult to read Germanic Script, there's simply no way I can make any sense of it ? ANYTHING you may be able to tell me, especially concerning his Unit assignment dates, & of course any Decorations awarded will be extremely appreciated !! THANK YOU Lars !

Best regards,     Dom P.  /  dpast32

Schumann served from May, 3rd 1915 until December 1918. These are his units as far as I could find out

(1915) - II. Ersatz Bataillon 1. Königlich Sächsisches Jäger Bataillon 12, 3. Ersatz Kompanie  (Ersatz = Replacement)

(1916) - 7. Kompanie Infanterie Regiment 133

(1916 - 1917) - 3. Kompanie 1. Ersatz Bataillon Infanterie Regiment 134

(1917) - XIX. Armeekorps 3. Königlich Sächsisches Ersatz Maschinengewehr Kompanie

I haven´t found any records regarding awards yet but I can read the handwriting only fragmentary.

As usual, Lars comes through for me !! And you may rest assured that I truly do appreciate all your very kind assistance !! I had made an initial assessment of his units earlier, but between my not speaking the language, combined with that very small cursive script, I really wasn't certain if I had determined them correctly ? As for his 'presumptive' medals, and or awards, he almost assuredly was entitled to the WW1 Black Wound Badge ( awarded for up to 2 wounds ), & naturally the 1934 'Front Fighters Cross' ( Hindenburg Cross ), & possibly, although I can't be sure unless it's noted somewhere in his Pass would be the Saxon, Friedrich August Medal, which was apparently similar to an E.K. II. ? He appears to have been engaged in numerous actions, which are confirmed in his Pass. He must have been a true 'Landser'. 

Of course if you do come across anything pertaining to any Awards or Medals that would be absolutely awesome. But I value & deeply appreciate your friendship & surely do not wish to bother you with my translation projects when you obviously have your own issues to tend with !! I've thought about making some enlarged copies of the most relevant pages, but to do so I would be forced to either disassemble the Pass, or damage it while trying. I just can't bring myself to do that ! Well, I THANK YOU VERY MUCH for what you've shared with me, as at least now I can focus upon his 'confirmed' units to learn some additional facts regarding his service. I hope you have a great week, & if you do turn up any medals related, I'm sure you'll let me know. Take care Lars, & THANKS AGAIN !!

Best regards,    Dom P.

Hello Lars, I just wished to tell you that today I picked up what appears to be an continuation of the Saxon Army's WW1 years. The initial Book, "Fighting The Kaiser War" was published back in 2015, while the latest edition, "For King & Kaiser", was published in 2020. The first Book although an excellent study of the subject matter, the latest version contains much, much more if reference to both the 133rd & 134th Reserve Infantry Regiments, which of course is exactly what I'm seeking. What's great is that I chose the online, 'Kindle' editions of both, which ran me the almost ridiculous sum of $2.99 (UDS) each !!! I'm looking forward to delving into the latest edition tomorrow if time permits, as I did perform a cursory search & it made numerous mentions of both the 133rd & 134th. I'll of course let you know should I happen across anything of particular interest, just to keep you updated. I went back through my Schumann notes today & did find some relevant date pertaining to his respective Unit assignments. As you're aware, every additional confirmed date goes along to create a useful narrative detailing his movements though the years. You were correct with his initial date of 03 May 1915, but I was to locate his final Discharge date which was in February 1919. I was also able to discern a few other transfer dates, although not all, as I'm still missing a few. Hopefully by scrutinizing the new Book, it might allow for some additional revelations ? THANKS AGAIN Lars, & take care !

Best,     Dom

Hello Gentlemen,   Please be advised that I've recently had the good fortune to have the above WW1 era Saxony, Militarpass relatively completely translated, thereby finally allowing me to determine correctly this Landser's War Service along the Western Front. As became obvious when looking into his Pass, he did indeed appear to have been involved in some heavy action, & fortunately he managed to survive the War. I've included it here on the Forum in case anyone may be interested in following his service, which appears to have been primarily with the 133rd & 134th Infantry [ Saxony ] Regiments throughout. Naturally, should anyone wish to comment, & or provide any additional information pertaining to this Document, I will most appreciative to hear from them.

THANK YOU

Best,     Dom P.   /   'dpast32'

@>>> CURSORY TRANSLATION;

NAME:  OTTO ARNO SCHUMANN

SERVICE DATES:  03 MAY 1915 ~ 21 DECEMBER 1918

HOME GUARD DUTY: As of 28 FEBRUARY 1919

{ NOTE: Arno is underlined, which meant he used that name instead of Otto. }

Jäger ( Rifleman ) Otto Arno Schumann was born on 18 March 1895 in Hetzdorf, Saxony. He was not Married, had no Children & lived in Freiberg, Saxony.

He was a Shoemaker by Trade, & an Evangelical. His Father was Moritz Heinrich Schumann, & his Mother was Anna Auguste nee' Lorenz.

Schumann Served from 03 MAY 1915 until 21 DECEMBER 1918. He Registered for Home Guard Duty on 28 FEBRUARY 1914.

(1915) - II. Ersatz Bataillon 1. Königlich Sächsisches Jäger Bataillon 12, 3. Ersatz Kompanie (Ersatz = Replacement)

(1916) - 7. Kompanie Infanterie Regiment 133 ; 1. MG Kompanie 133; 24 July 1916 Transfer from 2. Ersatz Batl to 1. Jäger Batl 12.

(September 12 1917) - 3. Kompanie 1. Ersatz Batl Jäger Regiment 134 ; 09 November 1917 Transfer from XIX Army Corps 3. Ersatz MG Kompanie to Res Infantry Regiment 133.

(1917 -1918) - 3. Königlich Sächsisches Ersatz Maschinengewehr Kompanie

WOUNDS & HOSPITAL STAYS: 

1 ) He was treated due to an Accident (unspecified) on 15 July 1916 at Reserve Feldlazarett Epily, France.

2) He was Hospitalized for Typhus from 10 August 1916 to 02 November 1916, & was subsequently Immunized on 17 October 1916.

{ NOTE:  During this time, he was Transferred to Reserve Infantry Regiment 133. }

3 ) He was seen at a Field Hospital near Beaulencourt on 16 November 1916 for a Concussion.

BATTLES:

01 October – 03 November 1915: Battle ( Location Unreadable )

04 November 1915 - 15 July 1915: Battle at Guillemont

05 November - 11 November 1916: Battle at Artois

15 November -16 November 1916: Battle on the Somme

11 November -29 November 1917: Autumn battle 1917 in Flanders

30 November -07 December 1917: Attack near Cambrai

08 December 1917  – 31 January 1918: Battles on the Siegfried Line

01 February - 20 March 1918: Stationary battle in Artois & March to the Great Battle in France

21 March -06 April 1918: Great Battle in France

SPECIFICALLY:

21 March 1918: Breakthrough battle at Monchy-Cambrai

24 March - 25 March 1918: Battle near Bapsume

29 March 29 - 06 April 1918: Battle near Bapsume

07 April - 19 June 1918: Battles on the Ancre & between the Somme & Avre

20 June - 20 July 1918: Training behind the 2nd Army Front

July 21-25, 1918: Defensive battle between Soissons & Reims

26 July - 03 August 1918: Moving defensive battles between Marne & Vesle

04 August -16 August 1918: Stationary battle between Oise & Aisne

17 August - 04 September 1918: Defensive battles between Oise & Aisne

05 September - 08 September 1918: Battles in front of the Siegfried Line 1918

09 September - 18 September 1918: Battles in the Siegfried position with the 9th Army

19 September - 27 September 1918: Battles in the Siegfried position 1918

28 September - 09 October 1918: Stationary battles north of Ailette

10 October - 12 October 1918: Battles before the Hunding & Brunhild Fronts

13 October - 04 November 1918: Battles in the Hunding position

05 November - 11 November 1918: Withdrawal battles in front of the Antwerp-Maas position

12 November 1918: Clearing of the Occupied Area & Return march Home

Awards:  None Noted*   { *Although theoretically authorized }

©>>> END Of DOCUMENT