Pile Of Helmets

patches

Found that photo of German helmets being piled up in May 43 in Africa, we see a interesting array of types,  a quite a few M42s, these being worn by the troops that landed in Tunisia in November 42, at least one M16, and at least one that has the specially made splinter camouflage cover, a couple of pith helmets,  one that appears to have a Allied net on it, and at least one Italian helmet is seen.

af289dcc038204ffb57a2b0b5160ff1c.jpg

taf289dcc038204ffb57a2b0b5160ff1c.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey I found a full color shot of them. as we see very few are unpainted in their original Feldgrau/Dunkelgrau, all the rest painted in various shades of Tans and Khaki drabs.

DAK-helmet-pile.jpg

I wonder where the pic was taken? Maybe North Africa, seems like a lot of tropical gear.  The one on right/middle almost looks like snow camo.   Nice to see in color, thanks for posting !

• 3 months later...

My Dad who was a Sgt. in a US Combat Engineer Battalion told me that they would line up these helmets and a Sherman tank would roll over them.

• 2 months later...

Another Pile of Helmets along with other stuff, here Paratroopers of the 6. Fallschirmjäger Division march toward the disarmament area Soest, Holland. May 10  1945.

iii.jpg