Help identifying possible Norwegian Patch

AKC123

I got this patch but am not able to find any photos of it or references to it. It was described as a Norwegian Marine patch. Does anyone recognize it? Thanks 

7BEC45B2-2ECE-449D-AD00-3D56D57A5B12.jpeg

Proud Kraut

I don´t know what unit it is but it looks like a figurehead of a Viking long ship (dragon boat) so Norwegian Navy or Marines would make perfect sense.

I agree it’s clearly inspired by the dark age norse wood and stone carving aesthetic. Which really is why I was interested in it as I’m much more of history enthusiast than I am knowledgeable about modern Scandinavian military units (not at all). This is the emblem of the Norwegian Marinejegerkommandoen (MJK) which is the naval special operations command. The dragon head seems similar but not the same. 

C1373547-379C-4101-83D1-430BD92B5214.png

I found this photo of MJK operators in Kabul with the Norwegian Secretary of State in 2017. The operator on the left has a red and black patch on the chest of his plate carrier. Can’t make it out but it looks wider and a different design. My guess is that this patch is a personal moral patch or possibly a team/detachment morale patch for and MJK operator or team. Similar to how US DEVGRU often wear unique red team patches for their team. The dragon is clearly a more stylized version of the MJK emblem dragon. The tongue and three teeth and other details are the same this one just is more “Viking” like. 

7DBEFA14-453D-4FBA-AD30-31BD57082370.jpeg

Here is a photo of US DEVGRU operators. You can see the same style of unique moral/team patches. 

6860F6FD-9298-4148-9975-0D5FBDCC97CD.jpeg

It’s an older rate/ branch insignia for MJK, so you are on the right track. You will find this in three different colour combinations. I will look up some more information I have on this tomorrow

The two other colour variations that exist. Worn on different uniforms and as I understand from around the mid 1950s

The dragon head is from the Gokstad viking ship

D0306E46-F1E1-458A-A7D3-5DE19A40C36F.jpeg

Cool thanks for the info. If it’s from

the 50’s I assume photos of it worn are hard to come by? I tried looking around but didn’t see any.

Here’s the carving from the Gokstad ship. Pretty close 

684B5BBC-D4BF-46C2-A5E1-DA4341CE545B.png

No doubt where the dragon head on the patch is from, that is a cool image. I don’t know very much about these Navy insignia and not sure how long they were worn, but I have never seen a picture of these on uniform. Here are some more MJK related insignia, they are one of the few units in Norway using a beret flash.

434FFB03-016D-4570-B670-B29A66F77678.jpeg

Nice collection. Mine is pretty small only about 4cm or just over square. Is that what size yours are? Must have been something akin to a qualification badge rather than a unit patch at this size I would think but I know nothing about Norwegian uniform practices 1BAEAAF2-B70D-4DB1-82B5-6BF7F77D77AD.jpeg.1b465eabf571556e7b5265cb7bb6fa46.jpeg

It’s a speciality/ branch insignia worn on the sleeve. The unit patch has what is known as the «seacow» on. This is an older one from the 1990s

BB030765-F213-4FF2-A793-B0C84B29D217.jpeg

Cool thanks. Iv seen that one before but assumed it was the more modern insignia that replaced this. Do you know when the dragon head was replaced or is it still worn? 

• 3 weeks later...