24th of Foot Badge

Dh2z

A friend of mine has a badge, possibly Mess Dress, that I believe was from the 24th of Foot, South Wales Borderers.

It shows a silver Egyptian Sphinx mounted on a black background, with the figures 24 beneath it.

I will get a photograph of it later but, in the meantime, does anybody have any information about the origins / history of this type of badge? Can find nothing about it on the internet

Sorry, sphinx is gold, not silver, as previously described.

would appreciate any details about the badge, the uniform it would have been worn with etc

56CD9329-E5D8-48FF-8930-C1C1261181DA.jpeg

I'll start my answer to your questions with the opinion that your badge is Pakistani made and not that old.

The South Wales Borderers, also know as the 24th Regiment of Foot, was a very famous regiment in the British Army. The regiment picked up the image of the Egyptian sphinx during their service in Egypt in the early 1800s. They are probably most famous for their defense of Rourke's Drift during the Zulu War. During the fighting at the Drift, the regiment literally went "back to back" in order to fend off attacking Zulus. As a result of their eploits, the regiment earned the right to wear a "back badge" to commemorate their standing back to back to defend their position. Eleven defenders earned the Victoria Cross for gallantry there. The story of the 24th is immortalized in the movie "ZULU!" starring Stanley Baker and a young Michael Caine.

I hope this gives you a place to start in your quest for info on the 24th.

Allan