Valor by Dan Hampton (WWII Pacific)

Dune Panther

Dune Panther

I just finished reading Valor by Dan Hampton. This recently released book is about USMC lieutenant Bill Harris and his experiences in the Philippines (and elsewhere) during WWII, with a lot of additional information included.

Bill was a prisoner of the Japanese, having been ordered by his command to surrender when Corregidor fell. I do not generally read accounts of Japanese-held POWs anymore because they can be so excruciatingly brutal. However, the author does an outstanding job of conveying the realities Bill and his comrades faced without excessively dwelling on that particular horror (which could fill an entire book on its own just with Bill's POW experiences), and fortunately for Bill there were other incredible developments beyond all that. There is also background information concerning Japanese intelligence services and rivalries that I found very interesting.  

I do not want to spoil the story by giving too much of it away here. But this is a real page-turner that was hard to put down. Highly recommended! Amazon link for those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Valor-Astonishing-Defiance-Indomitable-Spirit/dp/1250275857/