2nd generation military headgear collector

Maple Creek

Maple Creek

Greetings folks. I'm a second generation collector of military headgear. My father's collection started in 1943 with the acquisition of war booty from the North African campaign given to his Boy Scout troop. The focus of my collection has been steel helmets from WWI, Spanish Civil War and WWII. Recently I found the last item on my wish list and have launched the next phase of my hobby, which is to create a virtual version of my collection. It's still a work in progress. I'm inviting comment and feedback: Steel Helmets of the World Wars. In particular, I've been seeking help finding best available period photos to represent the 78 objects in the collection. 

Best regards, Mark D.

Home Page_6_16_22.png

Dune Panther

Hi Mark, I am new here myself. And I, too look forward to the information you have to share. Funny how the evolution of collecting can change, for a long time I was after physical items like the helmets you mentioned. That shifted a bit into consideration of additional projects like you discussed (creating a virtual version of a collection), although I never got around to implementing those. And finally, shifting into what I primarily collect now - which is information. And not so much the physical items anymore. Still just as satisfying in my case.

I'll bet those Boy Scouts got quite a kick out of getting some German helmets! As my friends and I did when some WWII vets in the neighborhood gave us some of their spoils of war.

Cheers,

Rog