No5.mk1

Elliott R

If I find a jungle carbine with a scope on it, is the scope original? I guess a better wording would be did the military ever put a scope on the no5.mk1?

Dune Panther

I am not an expert on these, but from what I understand they will not accept a scope without modification. In other words, they were not originally designed to have a scope on them, but scopes have been added (by others, examples can be found online) after the model was dropped from service. Accuracy was also a problem and one of the reasons production was ended. Some additional information is here:

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/enfield-no-5-mk-1-rifle-history/392546

I plan on getting one of these carbines someday and am eager to learn more about them. So if anyone has more details to share, please do so.    

thats unfortunate, I have been looking for an allied scoped ww2 gun that doesn't cost an insane amount (like the 1903A4 or the no4.mk1 T)

The Meatcan

just a thought, but you might consider a Russian Moisin-Nagant 91-30 with PU scope. They were an allied nation (then) and prices may be more attainable than other scoped WWII rifles.

Dune Panther
On 7/3/2022 at 6:55 PM, Elliott R said:

thats unfortunate, I have been looking for an allied scoped ww2 gun that doesn't cost an insane amount (like the 1903A4 or the no4.mk1 T)

I can definitely sympathize with you on that. I have friends that invested in weapons many years back and held onto them (class 3 firearms in the US such as an MP-40, a StG-44 and others) that are so insanely priced nowadays that I highly doubt I will ever own one. Oh well... what is that saying about owning a boat? That it is better to have a friend with a boat than to own one yourself? Or something like that. Maybe the same can be said for hideously expensive weapons. 

And did you see mention in the article I linked to, about certain dealers "making up No. 5 carbines by cutting down No. 4 rifles from the post Korean War era until as late as the early 2000s"? As those circulate and are resold on occasion, new owners may be unaware they really have a messed with piece. This was something I was unaware of until reading that article. So buyer beware.

The article also mentions that "for the civilian today, the simple fact the gun may not have its original magazine (magazines were yanked for importation in 2014) and may balk at running properly is a concern." I still want one of these carbines but probably just for display and not as a shooter (although it would be great if it actually operated).

Good luck to you.