Moscow Tram Stop, A Doctor's Experiences with the German Spearhead in Russia

Dune Panther

Dune Panther

Moscow Tram Stop, A Doctor's Experiences with the German Spearhead in Russia by Heinrich Haape is a moving, firsthand account that I can heartily recommend.

Originally published in 1957 (with an English language version appearing in 1959), the book was since out of print for many years, difficult to find and quite costly to obtain once located. I suspect this was because Dr Haape's story is so compelling, as he tells his account of Operation Barbarossa from the moment of the German invasion into Russia, on into the summer of '41, the fall and the brutal winter war, all spent near or right on the front lines. I do not suppose that many Wehrmacht doctors earned decorations such as the EKI, a German Cross, an Infantry Assault Badge and a Tank Destruction Badge during the war but Dr Haape did, all a testament to his bravery in the face of overwhelming odds against survival.     

Reprinted in 2020, the new version of the book includes the original content and a Forward by Dr Haape's son, Johannes, and an Epilogue retracing his father's steps across Russia during June 2016 (my copy also has color photos of this trip). Dr Haape was also a talented artist and some of his sketches depicting the Russians he met, as well as photographs of him and others he served with, are also included. And since being reprinted, the book is far easier to obtain and costs less than the original 1950s version.

In my estimation, Moscow Tram Stop is one of the finest accounts of the conflict from the German side of WWII. Link for those interested:

https://www.amazon.com/Moscow-Tram-Stop-Experiences-Spearhead-ebook/dp/B08575SN62/