Real or fake ww2 german laying of the foundstion stone of the volkswagen plant

Shreck

These Things are a cigarette case and a match book cover that I thought might be original but these days who knows for sure so if you guys know about these things let me know. Thanks.

92A1B58A-22DC-4A58-BD6A-14DC9DE72AB2.jpeg

1C85E7D0-1606-4CCA-94E9-E9DFB39B1F8B.jpeg

79993153-EEB3-4D75-8295-F6C3ADBA339A.jpeg

946FF24E-1CAB-48E1-9868-8E994ECA0AEA.jpeg

EBD11BC9-0092-430C-AC05-EBFD1A6E4A04.jpeg

7EE08B05-D588-4AF8-B5DF-712F42BAFEB0.jpeg

Dune Panther

Fake. It is highly questionable that anything like this would have ever been under the purview of the RZM (Reichszeugmeisterei, see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reichszeugmeisterei) and it is RZM marked. I see it is also marked Waffenfabrik Mauser AG and Mauser did not make cigarette cases. I also see what looks like a Waffenamt marking and cigarette cases were not marked like that (not being weapons). Finally, the whole thing is poorly made and not up to the high standards of German manufacturing. 100% postwar bogus. Sorry. 

On the other hand, this sort of thing is a great example of what not to fall for. And in that sense, valuable information to know. TR collecting is quite a minefield and money spent on books and other reference materials is always well spent.

Dune Panther

Edit: I wanted to add something about "ignorance."

Chances are that the majority of folks collecting anything TR have been burned by fakes at some point. I know I certainly have. In my case it was because they were impulse buys that I lacked the background information to make properly, and/or I was taken in by a smooth talking con artist  - folks that will look one right in the eye as they are lying to them (at collector shows, guns shows, antique stores and the like).  

And manipulative tactics, like spinning some tall tale about the background of a particular item (like claiming "This was Hitler's cigarette case" but Hitler was a non-smoker), making one believe that they better buy it right away instead of potentially losing out on such a rare item, "tarting up" or "humping up" an item with markings like those shown on the cigarette case (that would have never been present in reality), and more. On the other hand, there are some very reputable dealers out there and while it may cost more to go through them, the likelihood is far higher that what you are getting is authentic TR.

Having an interest in and collecting TR materials is fine and I would not discourage anybody from doing so. But lacking a solid foundation of knowledge can end really badly. Hate to see that happen to people.     

4 hours ago, Dune Panther said:

Edit: I wanted to add something about "ignorance."

Chances are that the majority of folks collecting anything TR have been burned by fakes at some point. I know I certainly have. In my case it was because they were impulse buys that I lacked the background information to make properly, and/or I was taken in by a smooth talking con artist  - folks that will look one right in the eye as they are lying to them (at collector shows, guns shows, antique stores and the like).  

And manipulative tactics, like spinning some tall tale about the background of a particular item (like claiming "This was Hitler's cigarette case" but Hitler was a non-smoker), making one believe that they better buy it right away instead of potentially losing out on such a rare item, "tarting up" or "humping up" an item with markings like those shown on the cigarette case (that would have never been present in reality), and more. On the other hand, there are some very reputable dealers out there and while it may cost more to go through them, the likelihood is far higher that what you are getting is authentic TR.

Having an interest in and collecting TR materials is fine and I would not discourage anybody from doing so. But lacking a solid foundation of knowledge can end really badly. Hate to see that happen to people.     

Thanks for all the information. You are right, reference books are a must buy especially when there are fakes everywhere you look. Also, the matchbook cover is also a fake?

Is the matchbook cover also a fake?

Preppy Picker

Reference books and hands on experience. As a youngster I finally found a couple of folks I could trust, who were happy to help me by making their collections available to study and showing me what to look for. Very hard to do this on line.

Rakkasan187

In addition to the fine assessment provided by Dunepanther and Preppy Picker... 

This particular Volkswagen Tinnie is the subject of post war copies and reproductions as with many other TR era tinnies. 

I would like to quote some information from a gentleman (REST IN PEACE BIG NED) who provided more information about this pin on another forum as well as an image of an original VW Tinnie. Studying the details of the originals vs reproductions will help..

"It's a copy of the 1938 opening of the new VW plant and commemorates the laying of the factory cornerstone, hence it's known as the 'Cornerstone pin' and only around 500 were made to be presented to dignitaries and such present at the ceremony. I understand that these were all made from aluminum and there's a pic of one below.

Therefore the original pins were gifts and never sold. The trade mark did not have to be protected because the pin was never meant to be for sale. If you see those words on the back of any cornerstone pin, regardless of how old it looks, or who sold it to you, or how much you paid for it, then it's bogus. That, by far, is the easiest way to tell."

Regards, Ned.

I won't beat a dead horse regarding reference books, but the information contained within the pages of those books as well as hands on experience are two key elements to successfully navigating the Third Reich minefield.. 

Best regards, stay safe

Leigh 

beetle obv..jpg