WW2 "Wartime Economy Manufacture" Paper Ribbon Bars?

I don't have good photos on hand, but will try to get some later. It's 5 in the morning here and insomnia has kept me up all night. Anyway...

I picked up a pair of ribbon bars still on their "Were Your Ribbons" cards at a show last year and finally sat down to have a good look yesterday. I knew it was the practice to issue the ribbon alone before the medal due to the rationing in place, but, when I got a good look, they were printed paper, grain lines and all! They're for the Italy Star and the France and Germany Star. Typical brass backer plate and pinback fittings, steel ribbon form (magnetic, I checked), but the ribbons are printed paper under a clear plastic or acetate, sort of like the wrapped bars Wolf-Brown made in the US. The card had the blue script "Wear your Ribbons" at the top and the striped border on the sides, like a pair of miniature ribbon bars for WW1 and WW1 plus Palestine that I also have. There is a block of description text on the back and "Wartime Economy Manufacture" on the back.

I would put their age at the very beginning of the production for the ribbon, as that would be most likely when rationing would have brought it about. I love oddities and war time necessity items, steel US pennies, Canadian Tombac 5¢ pieces, et c., so this is very much a bonus for me. Can anybody shed more light of these paper ribbons or this series of ribbons on "Wear Your Medal Ribbons" cards? I'll include this one with the WWI bars and other things I picked up at the same show, as I do have that handy.

It didn't post and it still won't take. I'll try later. Sorry.

I have collected ribbons for a long time, but predominantly US ribbons, though I do have a few British ribbons in the mix.  I know exactly of the paper ribbons of which you speak. Besides the Italy and the France and Germany Star ribbons, I have paper ribbons for the 1939 Star and the Defence ribbon. I also have a paper printed US WWII Victory ribbon which is printed just like the others with black wavy lines to simulate ribbon "morie." All are mounted to British metal ribbon bar stock and have a thin layer of acetate to cover them.  I have yet to find any printed on paper ribbons for any decorations.

As you say, these were a wartime economy measure, and i am sure that they were "better than nothing," but not as well liked as the actual ribbons.

Allan