Hello, I need help with some German badges.

BLH

More like 'Polish' badges.. Don't be discouraged, we ALL have a drawer of shame, pick a branch and study, buy books and read threads on different Forums, above all, ask BEFORE you buy ! Good luck, G

Preppy Picker

Best thing is to go to shows and actually handle the items.

If you had ever seen a real one of these badges you wouldn’t have fallen for any of these.

The back of the badge will often give you the best information.  The way they are constructed, such as the way the rivets do not fully penetrate the badge.  The pins and catches and the way they are made and attached.  The pin hinge construction, etc.  

Better luck in the future.

Thanks for all the advice, I got them real cheap at least. I'm looking forward to learning about the real WW2 stuff. I will be more cautious in the future. 

Preppy Picker

Can you bend them with your hand?

They look like pewter or some other slightly stiffer medal that can be bent.

Your High Seas Fleet badge looks like a copy of a late war zink badge.

Yours is marked RS Rudolph Souval who was an original maker but used a different font. 

Here is a period original Orth.

Notice how the hinge is applied and the round wire catch.

Not all High Seas Fleet badges were made this way.

At the beginning of the war they were much higher quality and different makers used different parts to make them.

Most serious collectors memorize all the different traits of the different makers.

The pictures are from the emedals web site.

FA9EE661-C540-4755-B8E3-FE69B1127D44.jpeg

DFFB3770-97A6-45A2-AAF3-500558E0800F.jpeg

Are we sure it's an original Orth ? Emedals isn't all knowing, and they have sold MANY fakes over the years.. One shouldn't bargain that a dealer sells ALL originals, many times this isn't true at all, better to show a vetted example for reference. G

Two original Orth badges....

FO HSF Reverse.jpg

FO.jpg

• 3 months later...

The advice given in this thread is right on the money. So many collectors will buy any badge through keenness and enthusiasm, without research or buying reputable reference books beforehand. Dealers can also state pieces to be original - honestly and some less honestly. In modern times there is plenty of information and photos on the internet to make your own comparisons before buying. Forums are an excellent way to seek further information - but ultimately it is each individual collector who must satisfy himself or herself whether or not an item is original. Having said that I have also had original pieces with undisputed provenance wrongly damned on forums. I have collected for 50 years and can categorically say that there is no substitute for visiting fairs, fellow collectors and dealers to personally handle items and gain experience and knowledge. Sure, I have been caught out like everyone else, but those experiences pushed me strongly to take up the advice I now offer. 

Wishing all members good fortune,

Tony A.