EK1 screwback

jmd62

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share my latest addition, an early brass core Otto Schickle (=L/15) EK1. I've been wanting a clamshell screwback for quite some time, but they aren't as easy to find these days.

Thanks!

James

otto1.jpg.0f3e7d7cfbba3a57b429c9c5d2733d19.jpgOtto2.jpg.3e333b291926a6ffc073bfe6e80939ea.jpg

These ICs with a non-magnetic brass core (instead of being made with the standard iron core) are often referred to as awards made for the Kriegsmarine.  The theory is the iron core would rust in sea water while the brass core would not.  Of course it could just be a period variation.  I just wondered what your view on this theory was?  

I've read that too and it would certainly make sense in my opinion, but I did come across this article by Sebastián J. Bianchi that apparently disagrees with that theory:

"There are exceptions to the core being iron as some Iron Crosses have a non-magnetic brass center.  It had been put forth for many years that these Crosses were used, or at least preferred, by Kriegsmarine personnel (a reasonable assumption, one can imagine iron would not last long exposed to the salty atmosphere of the high seas).  This assumption, however, has not been documented and has actually fallen out of favor in the collector's world.  More accurate seems the notion that non-magnetic Iron Crosses were issued prior to the LDO flexing its muscle, as in July 1942 a notice was published in the Uniformen Markt (industry trade magazine) reading as follows;

"Recently, three firms have used brass and tombak plated iron for the center of the Iron Cross First Class.  I thereby advise all firms that the regulations issued the Präsidialkanzlei des Füheres must be strictly adhered to.  In the case of the Iron Cross it is particularly important , on history and ethical grounds, that materials other than iron for the inserts must not be used.  If these incidence reoccur, I will remove the offending firms from the list of authorized manufacturers." (1)

One can only assume that the firms that were out of regulation fell in line and resumed the exclusive use of iron for all Iron Cross centers."

Very interesting though : )

Thanks!

James

Thanks for that Uniformen Markt quotation James.  I had not been aware of that LDO criticism before.  This seems to debunk the KM theory and should put it to rest.  

BTW, a nice example... congratulations! 

13 hours ago, SARGE said:

Thanks for that Uniformen Markt quotation James.  I had not been aware of that LDO criticism before.  This seems to debunk the KM theory and should put it to rest.  

BTW, a nice example... congratulations! 

Thank you Sir!  I just learned about it myself  : )